iMessage data usage

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by mabok, Sep 19, 2016.

1. mabok macrumors member

Hi, I've been wondering how much data does iMessage uses since the emerge of iOS 10?

The .gif, stickers, games, etc..

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Not 100% sure, but I would say 20-30KB here and there. I can't imagine it is that much. Pictures will probably use the most, stickers will probably use the least. Obviously photos taken with your camera will be the most, 1-2MB.

3. bassislife macrumors newbie

My wife's data usage has skyrocketed since iOS 10 upgrade. VZW site says the usage is in chat apps. I just reset the cellular stats so I can take a look at it again in a few days. It had the highest usage of system services when I reset it.

4. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

There is a setting to send low quality images. I also turned off the stickers.

5. pilot3033 macrumors member

They will pry my AT&T Unlimited plan from my cold. dead. hands. Anyway, I know a lot of companies have really awful server-side data meters, so do stay on top of that if you suspect misconduct. The stickers don't seem to take up all that much data, but increased use of gifs might depending on their source.

6. mabok thread starter macrumors member

This is what I'm afraid of...
    For all I know.. if we accumulate all the gif/stickers messages it will definitely use up a lot of our data.

Does turning on the "low-quality images" affect the .gif and stickers too?
    I thought that setting only applies to images. Not sure with video though.