iMessage - Data vs Cellular

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jcal0820, Aug 16, 2014.

1. jcal0820 macrumors member

jcal0820

I'm in Korea right now, switched out my Verizon SIM from US for local SIM. As a result, I have a Korean tel number on my iPhone 5S.

Question is: when I text message my contacts who are still in the States, who also use iPhones, am I drawing from the Data, or cellular allowance ( for SMS or MMS)? Because I would incur extra fees for making overseas calls or texts, and my contacts in the US would also if they reply to them.

But with iMessaging, is it strictly off the data, so that these xtra fees wouldn't apply? I notice that for my contacts who have iPhones, I don't have to convert their number to the overseas dialing code, whereas those who have non-iOS devices and/or landlines, I do.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

iMessage is always data.

Sms and mms will always be cellular that allowance and the data will come from your network that your currently connected to!

3. jcal0820 thread starter macrumors member

jcal0820

So, if it's iPhone to iPhone, it will always be Data thru iMessaging, correct?

4. jcal0820 thread starter macrumors member

jcal0820

...in other words, as long as it's iOS to iOS (blue bubble as opposed to green bubble), either end of the SMS/MMS exchange won't incur overseas calling rates, which can be as high as $4.00 per min/txt without special global calling plans?

5. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

This pretty much. Remember to disable Send as SMS in iMessage settings to it doesn't fall back on SMS and have you incurring international SMS/MMS rates.

6. alanferned macrumors newbie

When you're texting someone using the stock messages app, if the send button is green it means it will be sending the message as a text message (SMS), an alternative way is if it says "Text Message". If your send button is blue it means its an iMessage message, and it will be using data to send it.

7. jcal0820 thread starter macrumors member

jcal0820

Thanks... Using mostly the KaKao Talk app now