iMessage delivering to a number...that isn't connected to iMessage.

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by chrf097, Apr 6, 2014.

1. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I'm hoping this is the right section, since it's directly related to iMessage and iOS 7. If it needs to be put somewhere else, mods can help me out.

On Saturday I switched from my iPhone 5 to a Moto X. Before the phone was deactivated I turned off iMessage and restored the phone entirely. However, people with iPhones (aka the majority of everyone I text) were still having my iMessages appear as "delivered".

I checked both the Messages app on my Mac and iPad and my phone number has disappeared from the "send and receive" box, but i'm still having some major issues.

Most users have told me that when they try to text my #, it will attempt to send an iMessage first, only for it to say "not delivered" and kick back into standard text messaging. After a while, however, it will go back to trying to send an iMessage.

However, in some cases, it will send as an iMessage AND say delivered, even though I no longer have an iPhone, and the messages do not appear on my computer or my iPad.

This is a serious issue, considering I have to message some people daily and now their iMessages are saying they are "delivered" without actually appearing on any device.

I've called Apple to have my number removed directly from the system, but they said it already had been. In addition, I did text the number with the word STOP and it confirmed my # would be unregistered from the iMessage system in 12-24 hours, except it's been WELL over 24 hours since then and some devices are still sending as an iMessage with the "delivered" receipt.

Like I said, this is a serious issue. The device I'm testing, my mom's phone (16GB iPhone 5C, 7.1) is showing iMessages as delivered but I have no device associated with my #. What am I supposed to do? Is there any definite fix? Am I going to have to end up changing my #?

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

it's a sign that you should go back to the iPhone.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Go back on your iPhone 5 and disable iMessage and sign out. It is a sign that you should not have purchased a Motorola device :D :apple:

This article by Samsung offers some helpful tips on the matter: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00053450&fm_seq=62995

4. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

I've already done that.

I followed the instructions in that Samsung Article and so far everything is working now. I'll still test with my mom's phone in the morning though.

And sorry guys, I've been on iOS for 6 years and I still am if you count my iPad. I needed something new. I might come back for the iPhone 6 though!

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am just messing with you. I have had times where I thought I wanted to try a different phone. Especially around the iOS 6 days. I am really hoping that they make iOS 8 look a little sharper and less colorful and I will be totally on board.

6. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

I ended up just changing my number - after doing everything possible and calling Apple twice, my number was still registering as iMessage for some people and delivering.

7. kamalaggi macrumors member

iMessage delivering to a number...that isn't connected to iMessage.

If the other person has your label set to iphone instead of mobile in contacts. It will always try and send as iMessage

8. tmanok macrumors newbie

tmanok

If apple couldn't help you there are slim chances of anyone else being able to assist you any further, but still a possibility. Seeing that you already changed your number, responding to this pointless but I'll still tell you what I would have done in your shoes. I would have turned off the phone to test if they were truly sending to the phone, in most casses it probably would not have delivered and tried to send it as a text but if it only worked when it was off the means it's still attached to the iOS. I would have then connected it to the computer with a file viewer and found iMessage, once finding it, deleting the content on that phone number. E.G. Archived conversations if there were any and etc. Done further testing. Assuming it continued. Settings > Messages > Toggle iMessage > Home. Settings > Messages >Send & Receive > (Delete all the numbers in that section).

Sincerely,

Tmanok :apple:

9. cynics macrumors G3

After a terrible experience like that why on earth would he ever consider going back?

10. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

I've found that it takes a while before iCloud gets it straight that a contact's phone number is no longer tied to an iPhone. In a couple cases, it took a couple months. In others, a week or so.

On an iPhone, you can change a text from iMessage to standard text by touching and holding the message copy right after you click send. Not that this will help you, since you have the Android.

11. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket