Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Hey, I have a small question about iMessage,

If you send somebody an iMessage and they don't have an internet connection, do they receive the message when they go online?

From what I've tried, it seems that it does not work. If they are offline and the message does not go through, it fails and does not get delivered when they go online.

This is a bit disappointing TBH, considering with an app like Viber, you can send a message to a person that is offline and once they connect, they'll receive it.

Maybe I'm not doing something right?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Works for me. I came out of the train tunnel this morning and I got 2 iMessages that had been sent when I was in there.

I don't know why yours isn't working.

JUiCEJamie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Hmmm... That's strange! It works whilst I'm on the tube and out of 3G/WiFi.
Try signing out of iMessage, restarting the device, updating software etc etc.

Then try signing back in to iMessage. - Otherwise, I'd take it to an Apple Store.

jwm2

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2012
I've never had a problem receiving messages either. I turn my phone off at various times when i don't want to be bothered and when i power it back up the messages come through just fine.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Thanks for the replies guys.

Turns out the other party did not have iMessages properly activated so they weren't going through, even though it indicated on my side that iMessage was on.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.