iMessage down??

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by al0513, Jan 5, 2012.

1. al0513 macrumors 6502

Is anyone else experiencing this? My iMessage is down and I confirmed it with 4 friends that has the same issue. Anyone else?

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

how is it down for you? Can't send or won't receive?

3. al0513 thread starter macrumors 6502

ya.... wont send/recieve and it will eventually send it as a text message ... 20 min later.

now its saying waiting for activation.. since I turned it off and then back on.

4. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

i think iMessage is completely unreliable...so I don't use it anymore.

When i used it..it seemed like it worked 50% of the time.

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

My friend was saying he couldn't receive iMessages yesterday, I've just sent/received one now though. Maybe a problem related to a specific country?

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

not having issues with iMessage, and never had network issues with it.

could be your connection?

7. bozzaline macrumors newbie

We are experiencing problems with iMessage the past week or so in my household. I have had no problems with mine talking to friends here or out of state. However, when messaging my old lady, it does not work...even if we're sitting next to each other on the couch. Her iMessage has not worked since December. We are on the same network and the only difference is that I have an iPhone 4 whereas she has the 3GS.

8. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

I can confirm the problem as well. It's as you described -- iMessage won't send and 20 minutes later it sends as an SMS.

9. al0513 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm located in Texas btw.

I'm connect to wifi and also 3G and it still doesnt work.

Come On Man!! (apple)

10. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

You have to turn off data over 3g to force iMessage to send via WiFi... (Or just attach a image or video to the message)

11. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

iMessage up here in Mexico. wasn't the USA apple store down too?

----------

wow so you have an iPhone and yet don't understand how it works? you don't have to do that to force it send messages on wifi, if theres wifi on it'll go through wifi SIMPLE AS THAT...

if there is only 3G avaliable it will use 3G if EDGE is avaliable only it will go through EDGE...

12. al0513 thread starter macrumors 6502

What?? Ive never done that....

I thought if you are connected over wifi - even with 3G on - it sends it via wifi.

13. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Nope.

14. Benchtech macrumors member

Mine's pretty unreliable, it makes having conversations irritating when it takes forever to send, I usually end up overriding it by sending as a text message instead.

15. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Yes it does, it uses whatever the predominant data connection is.

16. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

As the article I posted pointed out iMessage prefers 3G. The only time it appears to choose to use WiFi on it's own is when you are sending media along with your message.

17. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

That's not true man. iMessage uses your current connection. If you're over Wifi it won't rely on 3G data.

18. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

So someone has disproved Anands findings? (Note: I am only arguing that what was reported on Anandtech is true. Is there a source that says otherwise?)

19. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Going back to the topic: I just exchanged several iMessages with a couple people. No issues at all. Got delivery confirmations, read receipts and responses, so all good. I'm in NJ, though I doubt location would be a factor.

20. Vell843 macrumors regular

Vell843

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have been sending iMessages all day to my girlfriend and friend with no issue? Actually all week to be exact....

21. JayneQ macrumors newbie

wonderringer the same thing

I have had my iPhone 4s for 3 weeks now, and I have not had any trouble with IMessges until two days ago. suddenly my messages aren't going through. what's up?:confused:

22. JayneQ macrumors newbie

[QUOTE/] wow so you have an iPhone and yet don't understand how it works? you don't have to do that to force it send messages on wifi, if theres wifi on it'll go through wifi SIMPLE AS THAT...

if there is only 3G avaliable it will use 3G if EDGE is avaliable only it will go through EDGE...[/QUOTE]

Well, I suppose if we all knew everything about how our iThings worked, we wouldn't need the forum, now would we?

Here's my questions, Genius (I presume), My iPhone 4s has been no trouble at all for the several weeks that I have had it until the past 2 days, when all of a sudden my iMessage stopped working...completely. Whether I am in wifi or on 3G, it stopped working. So, if something is supposed to word and DID work, why is it now, not working?

23. Hephaestus macrumors 6502

My experience with iMessage is that it's somewhat erratic. Most of the time it works, but sometimes it just refuses to send messages for a short period of time.

24. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

My issue is that iMessage works fine on the iPad or iPhone but the sync of conversations between the two device is all over the place. Sometimes it works and other times, zero sync between them which is what I want.

Would love to come home, set my iPhone aside and lounge with my iPad and continue texts with it.

25. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I've noticed it earlier last week. I thought it was my wifi issue because I'm using wifi more since I'm throttled for this month again. But turning off wifi still had issues sending iMessage out. It fixed by itself after a while afterwards so I haven't thought about it much at all.