iMessage, Email and Phone Number Conundrum

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by faqdroid, Oct 13, 2014.

1. faqdroid macrumors newbie

Howdy.

New iPhone 6. Created an Apple ID...etc.

Now I've received a text from my friend, but instead of showing her number in my Messages App, it states her EMAIL address. I understand that it is because we are both using iPhones, but why didn't her name appear as her name as stored in my contacts list?

ALSO, what if I am outside or disabled my Wi-Fi/3G connection, if she texts me, will it then be sent to my phone number, and NOT my iMessage/Apple ID address?

Here are extra details.

Message settings:

iMessage: enabled
    Send as SMS: enabled
    Send & Receive: 2 addresses (phone and iMessage/ID)

So, say I'm not connected to the internet, if she continues her text thread from our previous conversation on iMessage, will I still receive the text on my phone, ie, it will be sent to my actual phone number instead? (Since I'm not connected via Wi-Fi).

Thanks! :D

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I believe you should still receive the iMessages as long as you have cellular data enabled. Otherwise you will only be able to get SMS texts sent from phones (the iMessages will convert to SMS as long as your friends have send as SMS enabled). You will not get messages sent from iPads or Macs. Your friend may not have her iMessages set up with her phone number for some reason. You can add the email to her contact info on your phone by clicking the info symbol at the top right in the message thread.

3. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Sounds like the person texting you has their iMessage set to send from her email address rather than their phone number. Its something they need to change at their end in the iMessage settings on their iDevice.

4. faqdroid thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, quite an interesting, but annoying issue. I understand that iMessage works on WiFi/cellular data, but what if I'm not at home, or my 3G is turned off? What if other people who use iMessage tries to contact me? For example, if my friend sends a message via iMessage, will I still receive it as SMS? (Without them changing any settings themselves, that is, the message will automatically be sent as SMS, because, how would they know if I'm actually connected to the internet at the moment?) I sure hope those messages are sent as SMS, however, I don't think they are! I tried texting my friend earlier, then quickly disconnecting from the internet/WiFi to see if I will still receive a text via SMS. I didn't. When I connected to the Wi-Fi after a few hours, it was only then I received the message lol!! Is there a way to deal with this? I mean what if there's an emergency and I couldn't receive any texts?! :(

Also, what happens if I toggle iMessage off?

Thanks guys! :)

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

This is exactly what is happening. The issue that is concerning you is on her end.
    She can change the choice of which contact option the messages originate from and start a new thread.

If you turn off iMessage, and she is sending to YOUR email, the message will not get delivered. If she is sending to your phone number, it will come as SMS.

Listing the email she is using to originate the message on her contacts card on your phone, should cause your phone to identify her email originated messages with her name. That is the beauty of iMessage, whether your friends pick up their iPad, use their iMac or use their phone to send you a message, if you have their contact info complete, the message will be connected to their name when displayed in iMessage (but there will be different message threads).

6. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

After testing it out for a different thread, I think there may be a bug with iMessage in iOS8. I tried getting my boyfriend's iPhone to send SMS messages to my iPhone with iMessage, wifi, and cellular data turned off on my iPhone. I could not get his phone to switch to SMS. I could send SMS to him, but his phone would try to reply with iMessage and not send unless I pressed and held on the iMessage to select send as text message. I even had send as SMS turned on on his iPhone. It worked with iOS 6 so I'm not sure why it doesn't work now. I will not be doing anymore testing because I accidentally deleted my message thread on my boyfriend's phone.

Edit: We both have iMessage set for our phone numbers and Apple ID's since we both have iPhones and iPads.

7. faqdroid thread starter macrumors newbie

Man, it's quite tricky isn't it? Wish apple made a separate app, kinda like WhatsApp, so the Apple ID and Phone number wouldn't be 'mixed'.

When you said "That's the beauty of iMessage", do you think I should update her phone number contact info and add her iMessage email??? Wouldn't that effectively link her Apple ID and phone number, which might make this a bit more complicated? Because right now, my messages list has a list of all my friend's names (the ones I've texted from my contacts list, via SMS), except one! Hers! Under the messages list, she appears as an email address. However, I tried writing creating a new text message and selected HER proper name from my contacts, and it seems to be highlighted as GREEN (therefore, not iMessage). So should I NOT link her Phone number and Email then? haha. And do you guys think, if I send her an SMS, by choosing her name from my contacts, will it be sent to her actual phone number, or redirected to her iMessage? Just that having data always on is a hassle, and wastes battery... :(

Thanks again!

8. tennisproha macrumors 6502a

This is the worst thing about iMessage. It defeats the whole point and purpose of iMessage.

9. dhlizard, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014

dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If your objective is to get iMessage to allow sending messages (not SMS) then I would add all of the options to her contact card (phone number and emails).

As an example, I have a friend with like 6 email addresses (why he has 6, I have no idea) but I have all 6 plus his phone number on his contact card. Having all the contact options listed allows iMessage to work as it was designed.

10. supersalo macrumors 6502

supersalo

That's because your friend has "Start New Conversations From" set to her email address instead of her phone number.

In Settings -> Messages -> Send & Receive, there's an option near the bottom that says "Start New Conversations From". Have her change that option to her phone number (instead of email address).

You will receive iMessages as long as you have any sort of internet connection (via cell or WiFi)

11. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Possible she has it set so her phone number is not shown for privacy reasons.

12. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

You have cellular data wherever you go. Just leave that on and you'll never have to worry!

13. faqdroid thread starter macrumors newbie

Update. You know how her actual phone number and iMessage email are separate threads in my messaging app? I tried sending her an SMS text to her actual name/phone number (highlighted as green), and I got no reply. I came home and connected to wifi, and got the reply FROM her iMessage email! Haha.

Even worse, I got friends who linked use their actual number as the iMessage ID. So everytime I send them an SMS, since their number is effectively their iMessage, I won't receive the replies unless I turn on my data haha!

This is quite an issue, since having data always on (just for the sake of receiving TEXTS) is a hassle and will drain the battery quicker..

Don't get me wrong, iMessage is amazing. I just hope it was a separate app like Viber or WhatsApp... >.<

So is there actually no way for my friends to text me via SMS if I'm offline (that is, without manually selecting the send as SMS option)?

14. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Here's the official troubleshooting help from Apple: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2755. It seems that a problem that was just affecting users who switched to android and could no longer receive texts from iPhone users whose phones still tried to send iMessages is now affecting iPhone users who want to occasionally send or receive SMS only. I tried playing around with the settings on my iPhone and could not get my boyfriend's iPhone to send SMS without forcing the individual message. If this is an iOS 8 problem it definitely needs to be brought to Apple's attention.