Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onlymiah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
I am having a problem getting iMessage and FaceTime to active.

Here is the scenario: I have an iPhone 5, but rather than just ditch the old phone I have been using my old iPhone 4 unactivated (Verizon) as an iPod. It had been working beautifully! I was able to use iMessage and FaceTime around the house on Wifi, but after I upgraded to iOS 7.1 neither iMessage or FaceTime will activate. When I slide the switch on it says there was an error activating, please try again. I hit ok and it just says "waiting for activation." I have tried everything I can find online to try to get this to activate.

I have tried turing off and back on. Nothing.

I've tried the hard reset. Nothing.

I've tried restoring to factory. Nothing.

I've tried resetting network settings. Nothing.

I've tried erasing and setting up as new. Nothing.

The weird part is I can send and receive iMessages even though it says "waiting for activation."

Can anybody tell me why I cannot get this to activate?

soniasim

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
iMessage/Facetime activation

You probably send messages through your Apple ID and not your phone number...

I've been having the exact same issue for about a week... I have contacted my carrier (Wind Greece) and they told me that there is an issue with certain sim cards that can't get activated for unknown reason. They have contacted Apple about the problem and they are waiting for a response...

I suspect there is an Apple server problem that affects users on different carriers, around the world...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.