iMessage, FaceTime "waiting for activation" after iOS6 update

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by brianne, Sep 20, 2012.

1. brianne macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone4 and updated to iOS6 yesterday. I no longer can use iMessage, FaceTime, or apps like Twitter.

I have reset my network settings and restarted my iPhone multiple times, as well as updating my iTunes on my laptop and syncing my phone, and backing up over iCloud.

My Messages settings page on my iPhone looks as follows:
    iMessage ON
    Waiting for Activation...

SMS/MMS
    MMS Messaging ON
    Group Messaging ON
    Show Subject Field OFF
    Character Count OFF

There are no other options shown on the "Messages" settings page.
    Please help! I feel like I've tried everything I've seen on other forums.

Attached Files:

2. tcb9289 macrumors member

I just posted this in another thread, but I thought it might be helpful for you too. I'm in the same boat, trying to get imessage & facetime activated on my new 5. From http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4268:

After each step toggle FaceTime and iMessage off and then on in Settings > Messages and Settings > FaceTime.

1. Update to the latest version of iOS.
    2. Verify that you are connected to a cellular network and can send SMS messages. You need a valid SMS messaging plan to activate FaceTime.
    3. Ensure that FaceTime has not been restricted: Settings > General > Restrictions > FaceTime.
    4. In Settings > General > Date & Time, ensure that Set Automatically is on. If Set Automatically is on, but the incorrect time zone is displayed, turn Set Automatically off and then choose the correct time zone, date, and time. Then turn Set Automatically on again.
    5. Contact your carrier to verify that there are no restrictions on text messages. Blocks on text messaging will prevent iMessage and FaceTime registration.
    6. If you are unable to activate iMessage or FaceTime on a device after remote wiping it, wait at least 24 hours and try again.

For me the services worked between Friday & today, at which point I contacted at&t to fix an issue I was having with LTE availability (my account was not provisioned correctly after performing a cross upgrade) . . .though they fixed the LTE issue, they seem to have caused havoc with imessage, facetime, and visual voicemail. A store rep fixed visual voicemail for me, but I didn't notice the other issues until hours later.

I'll post back when I'm up and running.

Hope this helps!