iMessage File Size...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by galaxy7, Jan 18, 2014.

1. galaxy7 macrumors member

Hey everyone! Got an iMessage file size question. Got a new 5S and while managing my iCloud account, I was just keeping track of the size of everything. This got me to looking around on the phone and I noticed when I go to setting>general>useage, my iMessage file size is at 1.8GB!! I went through and deleted a ton of old messages as well as ensuring none of my saved (visible) messages had any large photo's or anything like that hanging around. I checked my iPad which has about the exact same amount of stuff on it, to include messages, but the iMessage file size on that device is around 5.5MB...what gives? What's causing the large file size and what can I do to reduce it?

2. galaxy7 thread starter macrumors member

Someone suggested plugging into iTunes (I never do this...always just use the cloud...not much reason to use iTunes) and sync and it should clear up any excess data. Well...it didn't work. Still 1.8GB of Messages! What next...restore as new?

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Try using some apps that can clean out old/unnecessary data, like PhoneClean and/or iBackupBot.