iMessage flaw?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fightingirish46, Jun 7, 2011.

1. fightingirish46 macrumors newbie

Anyone having problems with the notifications for iMessage on iPhone 4 and iPad 1? I don't know if I got a iMessage on either device until I go into the messaging app. Even then, it only shows one side of each conversation. I have made sure the notification is active for them.

2. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

3. Jayden0606 macrumors 6502

not having those issues. working perfectly actually. best beta 1 i've ever used... good job apple!

4. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

How will iMessage work in iPads with wifi only?

5. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Well, iMessage will only work over WiFi in that case :p

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'd imagine it would work over wifi only.

7. iKennett macrumors 6502

How come? Data is data surly? If you have a iPad with 3G abilities why wouldn't it use them?

8. tevans333 macrumors member

He was answering the following questions, "How will iMessage work in iPads with wifi only?"

9. iKennett macrumors 6502

Ah Ha! LOL

10. Walshy440 macrumors newbie

Walshy440

Yes I'm getting similar issues. iMessage worked flawlessly on iP4 but refused to work for several hours on iPad1. When messages finally started going through and I got replies back I couldn't easily tell which I'd originally sent as some replies were appearing on the sent side. It is a Beta though and shows lots of promise so I will wait til the next release.

11. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

I figured it would work over wifi, but my question is if iMessage is embedded within the Message.app, will there be a Message app in the iPad w/o 3G? And since there's no phone number associated with my wifi-iPad 2 how will it work?

12. tevans333 macrumors member

Quick question, if another imessage user send an imessage to my iphone, how do I receive it on my ipad? So far in setting on the ipad I can only add an email address, but what if someone types in my phone number istead?

13. JASApplications macrumors 65816

There will be a Messages App just like the iPod Touch.

14. iKennett macrumors 6502

Fair point!!

It is interesting to note however that i *CAN* send an iMessage from my iPad to a phone number set up for iMessage.

Will continue to test.

15. iFiend macrumors 65816

+1

16. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

It uses your email address.

17. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

I would figure you need to add a different email address in the iMessage settings under 'Receive at'. I don't have my iPad with me here at work to test, but I would figure that would do the job.

18. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

You have to go play with the Notifications settings for the Messaging app. Make sure you enable View in Lock Screen, otherwise they'll only show up in your app.

Hope this fixes it..

19. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

just like with Facetime

20. ruipedroj macrumors newbie

the real flaw

imagine this:

you don't have a data plan on the iPhone. You have wifi at home and at work, and no need for a data plan.

Your at home or at work, and you receive all the iMessages on the iPhone. When you get out of home or work, your iPhone is still registered as an iMessage active user (because you won't turn it on or off every time you get home or work)... so people will send you iMessages, and you will not receive them nor SMS until you get home or catch a wifi spot.

So, having iMessage activated, and no network, forget about getting iMessages or SMS from people sending you from iPhones....

I hope apple makes iPhone smarter enough to turn off iMessages when people don't an active have 3g network. Right now, it seems you must turn it on or of on settings.

This makes iMessage completely messy, because people won't trust the service. People with other iPhones sending you messages, and you not receiving them until get a wifi hotspot? no good!

21. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The flaw in your scenario is the person bought a phone that was designed to always have an internet connection and in some cases an unlimited data connection. That's why US carriers like Verizon and AT&T require a data plan on the iPhone.