imessage hack?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bmms8, Jan 20, 2012.

1. bmms8 macrumors 68020

I was waondering if there is a tweak that will force imessage to use wifi if connected on a wireless network rather than using 3G or edge? apple uses data rather than wifi for imessage currently. thanks

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Unless you're spamming pictures to large numbers of people, don't worry about it. The amount of date an iMessage uses is inconsequential.

3. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

hey thanks for the post. i understand that, but my issue is messages taking too long for pics and what not.

4. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

are you sure it uses 3G even when on wifi? up until i got my 3G microcell and had a bar or so at home mine were sending almost instantly when on wifi and would take a few minutes sometimes when off wifi

5. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

It doesn't. You can use iMessage with data off. =)

6. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

i didn't think so...my iPad hasn't been connected to verizon since november and it gets them just fine on wifi

i was just wondering if the OP meant if data is turned on it automatically uses that instead of wifi which as i understood it is backwards from what apple is doing

7. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

what i meant was when you have data on (no one will turn off data just for imessage) and wifi on, imessage will send your messages through data rather than wifi. so if you are in a 3g area but have wifi, it will use 3g. if you are in an edge area with wifi, it will use edge.

its been proven by anandtech in their review a few months back.

what i would like - be on 3g, or edge, while connected to wifi and for imessage to use wifi.

8. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Proven where? Give me some sauces! wrong imessage will go thru wifi if you are connected to wifi. There is no such a thing that it will send thru 3g when you have wifi. Sounds like your router suck at where you at. I send imessages at my house and its instant with wifi connected. However, with 3g it could takes couple minutes or even fail sometimes.

9. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

10. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

here is an excerpt from their review. keep in mind its long and the paragraph can be found almost half way down.. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4956/apple-ios-5-review/3

"First off, what’s surprising in the case of the iPhone is that iMessage appears to prioritize cellular data for strictly text delivery. When I first configured my MITM, I thought I was doing it wrong, studied my setup, and then turned airplane mode on (to disable cellular) and re-enabled WiFi. After doing this, I then saw APNS working back and forth across my internet connection. After more experimentation, I’ve determined that messages prefer cellular, but larger payloads like photos and video go over WLAN. Why the strange dichotomy? Well, cellular networks (at least 3G ones) are generally safer and more trusted than any random WLAN (I was even using WPA2, so this isn’t a matter of things being different on public WiFi), so I can understand Apple’s hesitation to use WiFi by default for fear of someone eventually doing a MITM attack on TLS. That said, it’s just a bit confusing."

11. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

So then, what's the problem?

12. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

though it says that, a lot of my pics do not send properly and leave me with the ! mark. i dont think my phone uses wifi only when sending pictures.

13. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

You are wrong.

iMessage uses 3G by default, even if you are connected to a Wi-Fi network. Perhaps your 3G signal is so bad that your phone is defaulting to Wi-Fi, but I can assure you that when in full 3G service, iMessage prefers 3G and ignores Wi-Fi unless you are sending media.

Messages send instantly when "Cellular Data" is turned off in Settings, as it then has no choice but to revert to Wi-Fi.

In an area with full coverage and perfect service, iMessages will send pretty quick, just like with Wi-Fi, but if signal drops a little bit, there is a distinct delay and it makes iMessage no faster than regular SMS texting.

I turn off cellular data when I get home every night as this allows 100% Wi-Fi communication with zero lag.

A hack to force iMessage to default to Wi-Fi with cellular data enabled would be great.

14. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

i do this sometimes too because the time to send messages or pictures are so much faster.

hopefully someone will come out with a tweak :)

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Interesting didn't know this. I guess you could use sbsettings toggles until someone brings out a hack if they do.

16. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

FYI, it's been reported by a number of people that when turning 3G off via sbsettings it's very difficult to turn it back on. Some had to restore and some had luck resetting network settings.

This is in the iPhone 4S.

17. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

The "3G" toggle on CDMA phones doesn't work properly, since we don't technically have "Edge" and "3G" like AT&T. The phone gets finicky when you try to force it to 2G, or "tiny circle icon." Using the "Data" toggle is quick and easy, and I just started using it yesterday after JB'ing my 4S.

The 3G toggle screwed mine up, but I got lucky and restored cell service by selecting and unselecting the "Voice Roaming" toggle in Network settings.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That sucks.

19. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

you are wrong! Cuz I know my 3g signal is not weak at my house when connected to wifi. My imessage always go much much faster than on 3g most of the time. Unless someone show me or prove me how imessage use 3g instead of wifi like how facetime won't work on 3g. Or maybe us carriers!

20. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

i posted the link for you to see above. regardless that isn't the issue, id like to see a tweak that forces imessage to use wifi even when connected to data. just like whatsapp

21. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

My iMessage always prioritizes wifi. Sometimes when I'm on campus on the edge of a wifi signal (weak enough that my throughput is basically non-existent), all of my iMessages stall until I turn wifi off

22. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

so download sbssettings and whenever you are on wifi pull down the notification center and turn data off

23. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

I did not click any other than engadget, 9to5mac, 9to5google, gizmodo, BGR, but thanx tho.

24. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

ATT VZW or Sprint?

25. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

mobifone :D