iMessage help needed

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ryan101, Jul 15, 2013.

1. ryan101 macrumors member

Hello,

Can anyone advise or help on the below. I turned on iMessage on my iMac since I am probably in front my computer almost 8-12 hours a day. However, now I have a problem, all my texts seem to be going to iMessage rather than my iPhone. I think I just realised how to make it go to both the iPhone and the iMac, I did not have it turned on the iPhone. Is my assumption right that on my iMac if I delete the accounts inside iMessage it will stop receiving the texts?

I am based in the UK and with Vodafone. At the moment I have unlimited texts with my service provider. Is there an additional cost to using iMessage.

My ideal situation would be to be able to text from my computer and phone and for those texted to be synched. But I don't want to be paying extra to use this feature.

Thanks

2. ylrd macrumors member

ylrd

iMessage is linked to your Apple ID. Both your Mac and your iPhone are linked to your Apple ID; therefore, you'll get the iMessages in both devices.

If you want to receive separate messages in every device without deleting/creating another Apple ID, you can do so by adding more verified e-mail addresses in https://appleid.apple.com

Let's say your Apple ID is mail@hotmail.com and you add newmail@gmail.com as a verified e-mail address in the Apple website. Well, now you can be reached with both e-mail addresses, and you can set that up in the iMessage preferences:

[​IMG]

If you have two verified e-mail addresses, you can check one in the Mac and the other one in the iPhone... that way you won't receive the same messages in every device.

About the 'additional costs'... lol no, unless you send videos/pictures, iMessages consumes a ridiculously low amount of data in your data plan, since iMessages don't count as SMS.