iMessage hit or miss?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by supermac96, Sep 3, 2011.

?

Will imessage be a hit or miss?

1. Hit

76 vote(s)
    87.4%
  2. Miss

11 vote(s)
    12.6%
  1. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm going to say miss, because apple's track record such things (FaceTime MobileMe, etc) has not been stellar. Apple works well when its a product/service/software for single user but when it comes to social type stuff they don't do as well.

3. Littleman macrumors regular

Littleman

Not really sure of the question. How is going to fail? People will stop sending texts????

It is integrated so well into ios that it is just like sending a text.

4. aztooh macrumors 6502a

iMessage isn't some extra, special feature. I don't see how it could be a hit or a miss.

5. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I'll let you know when i get it.

But from just it's features, i can say that it's already a hit for me.

I don't understand how it even can be a miss?

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Exactly. Most people won't even realize when they're sending one. It's pretty brilliant.

7. Boots- macrumors regular

I think it will be a hit, but I wish it had a profile type thing similar to Blackberry Messenger. I mean your iPhone has an iPod built in so why not let people know what you're listening to. Then if someone tapped on the song, it would take them to the iTunes store where they can preview it and purchase it. It makes sense doesn't it?

8. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

I feel iMessage is different from those services, since this iMessage is supposed to work seemlessly and override regular SMS. Seems like AT&T is more than scared to eliminate the $10 texting plan, forcing customers to choose between unlimited or pay as you go.

9. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

It will be a silent hit.

iMessage is the kind of thing you use and don't even know your using it. It is a guaranteed to piss off the mobile operators though...

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'm dumping my texting plan as soon as iOS 5 goes public. Most of the people I text are on iPhone's anyway.

11. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

i voted hit. i think it is something that could be used alot.

the only thing with that is for me alot my friends don't update right away. i have friends that haven't updated to 4.0 and other friends who bought a verizion iphone and are still on 4.2.8

12. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Super! I'm dumping my texting plan too. AT&T may not love it though. ;)

13. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

i don't use facetime alot but would hardly call that a miss. mobileme sure ping definatly.

oh and to the people that want to drop their txt plan think twice because the way imessage works is if it can't go through as imessage it will as regular txt and then you would get charged. unless u specifically turn that feature off and the imessage would simply not go through.

14. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

How about we wait until iOS 5 is available to the public and the service has been used en masse before putting it the sword, eh?

15. ViviUO macrumors 6502

The fact that people can't lie about receiving important texts (assuming they are using iOS 5) makes it a hit for me. The delivery confirmation is so cool.

16. pokerplayer73 macrumors 6502

pokerplayer73

Hit..

I have a question though.

A friend of mine still uses iPhone 2g and she has never updated her iOS. So, how will it work between us? I won't be able to communicate to her iPhone through iMessage platform, even though she has an iPhone. What do you guys think?

17. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

that can be turned off. :D

you won't be able to imessage her because 2g iphone won't be able to be updated to iOS 5

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Well, okay. As soon as they update. You can bet I'll pressure them to. ;)

FaceTime isn't a miss. It's a compliment to voice service. I use it every once in a while but when I do I'm thankful it's so simple and works a lot better than Skype.

People think that if something isn't used constantly by the masses it's a miss. That simply isn't true of certain features.

It'll still cost me less than what I pay per month.

It'll send as SMS texts to her just like it would to a Blackberry or Android phone.

19. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Unlike FaceTime, I think iMessage is really everyday useful. I work in a basement where I don't get cell service, so being able to get text messages out is a godsend. Also, I have a friend who is moving to France for a semester, and rather than text internationally, I can get her on the go from her iPad/iPod touch.

20. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

In the meantime, you might try Kakao Talk....until iMessage arrives that is.

21. MacAddict1978 macrumors 65816

Yeah but not all of them. And then you'll enjoy paying for every incoming and out going text ala carte.

Black Berry Messenger didn't kill of SMS, and there was a time whe RIM was selling Black Berry's like hot cakes and it was a compelling exclusive to the Black Berry line of phones. It wasn't a game changer. There are cross platform apps that do the same thing, and those haven't taken off either.

Add in that EVERY wireless carrier is starting to tweak their text plans or looking into changes, these services no matter who makes them, can't replace text messaging plans.

There's also email, IM clients (AIM, YAHOO! Messenger) etc that even allow you to text to phone numbers and user names and we all still text.

Where this will be a success is for iPod touch and iPad users, and that iMessege alleges to automatically switch back and forth and "just work" without you needed to think about it. I still want to know how it knows not to send to my ipad and to my iphone etc. or do you end up with the messages all over all your devices?

22. hobo.hopkins macrumors 6502a

hobo.hopkins

I agree with those saying that it'll be a hit; I don't really understand how it could be anything else. There is absolutely no downside to using iMessage, and most people won't even know that they are using it (unless they are saving money by not paying for text messages).

23. Zeisen55 macrumors member

i think it will be a hit, but we cant forget that its already been a hit for years....its called BBM on blackberry!

24. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

when i had my ipod touch 4g one month ago and was using ios 5 beta the app i was visiting the most was iMessage.I have some friends using the ios 5 beta and we were chatting all day with imessage.Quick and easy.it's just awesome.Now when i'll get the 5G i will be using imessage many times

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

while different iMessaging is still a single device lock in and it is not a real big threat to AT&T or any carrier and they know it. They killed off the plan because they could get away with it and a vast majority of the people are on unlimited txting plans. I am on a unlimited txting family plan which has 5 numbers on it all unlimited for a grand total of 30 bucks a month. (Aka 6 bucks per number)
    Txting is near pure profit to the carriers.

The bigger threat is services like Google voice which right now work for everything but MMS and when that finally happen well it is all over. Google voice works great on Android phones and to be blunt its VVM is a hell of a lot better than what Apple offers.