Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
Does anyone know if Apple is finally going to add scheduling a text as an option in this new OS?
This is getting a little embarrassing.

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
I've been waiting for this for years.
Soooo easy to do on Android.
Just one more thing Apple seem to enjoy ignoring.
Then they release it it's this big huge deal as if they invented it.
Kinda like dark mode and thousands of other things phone companies have been doing for years and they finally decide to grace us with their approval and do ti.

Reactions: Breezygirl

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
I've been waiting for this for years.
Soooo easy to do on Android.
Just one more thing Apple seem to enjoy ignoring.
Then they release it it's this big huge deal as if they invented it.
Kinda like dark mode and thousands of other things phone companies have been doing for years and they finally decide to grace us with their approval and do ti.

This will be able to be done with the shortcuts app

Reactions: err404

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
Yes and it's a crazy and annoying workaround. Not a feature in iMessages. Which is where it should be.
Just long press the send button and schedule should be one option.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Yes and it's a crazy and annoying workaround. Not a feature in iMessages. Which is where it should be.
Just long press the send button and schedule should be one option.

I remember doing it this way when I would jailbreak my phone with bitesms back in iOS 6 wow... That was a really convenient feature... I use to schedule a bunch of happy birthday texts lol.

rhunter2342

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2017
Can y’all explain some uses of having scheduled texts? I guess this have never been a feature that I ever thought about needing.

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
Ditto. Why would one use this? Hell, I e only ever scheduled emails like 3x in my life. Limited usefulness.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Can y’all explain some uses of having scheduled texts? I guess this have never been a feature that I ever thought about needing.

Ditto. Why would one use this? Hell, I e only ever scheduled emails like 3x in my life. Limited usefulness.
I'm with these two....i cant think of any time i've needed to schedule when a text needed to be sent. The only slightly close occasions i would need it is the once a week i pick the wife up from work on my way home and i've embedded that into a shortcut where i run it and it works out the route for me, texts her to say i'm leaving and what time i'll be there and then loads up Apple Maps with the route and the once a week i drop my daughter off at my parents and i text to say i'm on the way, again i use a shortcut that i just press an icon on the screen as i leave and it sends the text for me. In reality as well neither of these could be scheduled as such as its all based around when i leave which can vary slightly.

With the shortcuts app getting more options all the time then i suspect any sort of scheduling requirements are well handled in there.

Reactions: timeconsumer

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011

I used to use it all the time when I was on Android.
I have to make a scheduled text that needs to go out to several people early on Monday morning.
Sunday nights I won't get to bed until about 3 am and being able to schedule a text to go out at 6:30 am to all these people was GREAT to say the least and to not have to interrupt my sleep to send out the text.
That's one usage.

Another is that often while I travel I need texts to go out.
Before I leave my home I'm thinking more clearly and used to be able to compose the texts and they would go out once I get connection while I'm messing with the international airliners, taxis, hotels etc. I won't have to think about it then and everyone gets the texts.

Another very common reason was when I wanted people to know something but not too early. I could simply compose the texts in peace and quiet when I have the time and just schedule it to go out when the time was appropriate.

There are several other reasons.

This is much easier than writing up a text in Reminder and doing it that way.

Just schedule it and they will all go out without me interrupting my sleep or have to worry about it while traveling.
On Android you could schedule texts to go out hours, days, weeks ahead of time. And it was great.

This is something most Android texting apps have and it would be easy for Apple to make it happen.
[doublepost=1561487253][/doublepost]

Saw it.

It works intermittently. Not reliable at all.

Besides it's much more work than write it up and schedule it inside the texting apps.
Thinking of Android here.
[doublepost=1561487310][/doublepost]

My answer is above.
You may have schedules emails "3x" in your life.
I used the text schedule easily 4 to 5 times a week in my work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.