iMessage in iOS7 / Mavericks

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Shishu, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Shishu macrumors member

Are there any improvements to iMessage in iOS7 / Mavericks?

There are few bug fixes and improvements that iMessage could benefit from.

bugs:

- Conversations are not properly time-stamped on all devices resulting in messed up conversations. This happens when my Mac hasn't been powered while conversations have been taking place. Mac fetches messages from iCloud but typically the messages are not in the right order (4 white than 5 blue....)

New features that could be added:

- Ability to push SMS into iPads / computers. It would be great if phone could store SMSs into iCloud making conversations on iPad / Mac identical to the ones stored in iPhone. Currently iPad / Macs cannot be used to get.

- SMS relaying service allowing people to send SMS directly from Macs / iPads (iMessage as default and then fail-over to SMS in a same way as iMessages on iPhone work).

2. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Messages being in improper order seems to be fixed....Your feature requests however are not implemented.

3. Shishu thread starter macrumors member

Thats great news.

Didn't really expect other two to be added. iMessage has a lot of potential but Apple as usual looses interest in their software once they are released. Its a shame that you need to jailbreak just to be able to unify conversations by contact.

4. Northernist macrumors member

Apple put out an update for Mountain Lion that claimed to fix the issue with iMessages displaying out of order, but I still have the issue. Not sure about anyone else but sometimes my most recent message will display at the top of the thread on my Mac.

The other two features will probably never come to Messages on OS X because SMS would require carrier integration.

5. Shishu thread starter macrumors member

That update didn't fix the problem for me either :(

First one wouldn't actually require carrier integration as iPhone itself could simply push SMSs onto iCloud resulting in SMS appearing on the rest of the devices.

Second one would probably require carrier integration as you suggest. Although there is work-around. Basically Mac/iPad defaults to iMessage, fails over to SMS which are then pushed to iCloud where your iPhone picks them up and sends them out as regular SMS. Bonus with this solution is that carriers would be happy as it would drive SMS traffic to them

6. Northernist macrumors member

Agreed, now that I think about it.

It would be awesome if I could just use Messages when I'm on my Mac and be able to leave my phone on my desk instead of having to switch back and forth for iMessage contacts and regular SMS.