Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dom1two

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Really thought that they could have done something with imsg instead of it just being a free blue text msg!

we are in the stage where people like PICTURES, STATUS updates, interaction or generally just being bloody nosey! all these great apps face timing yet the most simple of things seems to be forgotten. not cool Apple really not cool

Dom1two

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
It's fine the way it is.

Fine is not good enough, No group chats, no group sharing of pictures no recent updates. not every1 has Facebook or twitter. i know a lot of ppl that have moved from BB to iPhone but still we keep our BB for this great fun interaction.
Apple should of done something with this. even whatsapp is better than imsg

soulsteelgray

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
1. Doesn't Shared Photo Streams cover your desire to share photos with a select group of friends? Besides messaging them in a group message.

2. And following up on that, last I checked, group messaging exists. Otherwise, I'm not sure how I've been carrying on an iMessage thread with five other people for the past ten months. (Unless you're referring to some other kind of group chat functionality, in which case I have no idea what you're talking about.)

Dom1two

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
2. And following up on that, last I checked, group messaging exists. Otherwise, I'm not sure how I've been carrying on an iMessage thread with five other people for the past ten months. (Unless you're referring to some other kind of group chat functionality, in which case I have no idea what you're talking about.)[/QUOTE]

yep a group chat
imsg is lame its a free txt....witwooooo pretty pointless cuz most ppl have free text with their data plan.

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
Really thought that they could have done something with imsg instead of it just being a free blue text msg!

we are in the stage where people like PICTURES, STATUS updates, interaction or generally just being bloody nosey! all these great apps face timing yet the most simple of things seems to be forgotten. not cool Apple really not cool
stop clittering up ma fone

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
2. And following up on that, last I checked, group messaging exists. Otherwise, I'm not sure how I've been carrying on an iMessage thread with five other people for the past ten months. (Unless you're referring to some other kind of group chat functionality, in which case I have no idea what you're talking about.)

yep a group chat
imsg is lame its a free txt....witwooooo pretty pointless cuz most ppl have free text with their data plan.[/QUOTE]

But you can do group chats? You can also send pictures, songs and videos to multiple recipients. Try doing that with SMS.

Afaik there is a 100mb filesize limit with iMessage. What's the limit with MMS? (MMS is not free btw)

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England

If you want nosy, status updates, and "interaction" then there's this site called FaceBook... not sure if you've heard of it.

I think iMessages is brilliant. It means I can send photographs to people on the fly with no extra charge.

Danindub

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Fine is not good enough, No group chats, no group sharing of pictures no recent updates. not every1 has Facebook or twitter. i know a lot of ppl that have moved from BB to iPhone but still we keep our BB for this great fun interaction.
Apple should of done something with this. even whatsapp is better than imsg

I'm a bit confused, I believe group chat is working just fine.

There are plenty of 3rd party messengers out there you can use.

JesalTV

Aug 24, 2012
London
The only thing good about iMessage is that it is cross-Apple products.

Otherwise WhatsApp beats it hands down in every way.

Danindub

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
The only thing good about iMessage is that it is cross-Apple products.

Otherwise WhatsApp beats it hands down in every way.

I think it's not fair.

The best thing about imessage is that it requires no setup, no additional apps - it just works, out of the box. No registration, no contact scanning, no invitations and links. And if the internet is down - it fails over to text messaging. I think that's pretty awesome...

DArsenault

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Boston, MA
iMessage works great. I don't think iMessage would be as effective if it was trying to take on social networking. People don't want to have to sign up for and maintain another service. It would gimp the service because instead of having 100% of iPhone users on it, it would probably drop to 30%. Apple added improved Facebook and Twitter integration into the phone to improve on social networking aspects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.