iMessage is unreliable

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by matttye, May 14, 2012.

1. matttye macrumors 601

I use iMessage on my iPad and it's really unreliable in terms of actually receiving messages. Both parties are on a strong WiFi connection, browsing, Facebook etc all work fine, but iMessage can sometimes take like 10+ minutes to receive a message from when it's sent.

Sometimes I'll be sending messages and they go through, then all of a sudden they stop going through and don't go through for like ten minutes.

When not in the app, I'd say that about 90% of the time messages don't come through straight away. They either come through delayed, or they come through when I open iMessage.

I've tried closing the app in the multitasking bar, rebooting, restoring my iPad.. I'm out of ideas. Does anybody have a perfectly functioning iMessage? If so, did you do something to get it to work?

Thanks

2. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I haven't experienced any noticeable problems and I use it all the time on the computer, iPhone and iPad

4. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

Not sure what the problem is on mine. :( The vast majority of the time messages are delayed. It seems to be okay when I'm regularly sending messages and looking at the iMessage app, but when the screen times out or I minimise and go to another app, the messages are delayed.

Also, the "read" time stamp shows that somebody read my message at the time I receive their next one.

Eg: I send a message at 22:30, they reply at 22:31, the message doesn't come through until 22:41, so it shows that they sent their message at 22:31, but that they didn't read my message until 22:41 (even though they replied to it ten minutes ago).

It's almost unusable as my main messaging service at times :(

5. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I have noticed this within the past few weeks. I have my iPad and iPhone and my wife's iPhone and iPad all on the same wifi network.

If she sends me a message, it usually is delivered to the iPhone (on wifi) almost instantly. It used to be the same for the iPad. Yes, she is sending the messages to the @me address not my phone #. In the past few weeks, I have noticed a delay in receiving on the iPad. Often the messages will be delayed and arrive in clusters, and the conversation thread on the iPad will be out of order.

Anyone else seeing something similar?

6. OriginalClone macrumors 6502

OriginalClone

iMessage has been very unreliable for me lately. Sometimes it takes very long (a few minutes)for a message to get through on a fast wifi connection (both ends) even after it gives me a false "delivered".

7. kokhean macrumors regular

Mine is almost instant. The only thing that only works like 10% is sending photos.

8. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

I found out what was causing this problem.

Close apps in the multitasking bar when you're finished with them. I know Apple says you don't need to do that, but when I clear out everything in the multitasking bar, leaving only iMessage and maybe one or two other apps, it works absolutely perfectly. When I've got about 6+ apps in there iMessage behaves really badly. I can be in iMessage, and I will actually see the delivered text appear on my messages as I clear the apps in the multitasking bar.