Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

londonmidland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2020
Leicester
I’ve updated both my iPad and iPhone to the latest version - iOS 14.2 and it seems whenever someone sends me a message, it’ll automatically read the message without me going into the app? This happens completely randomly.

Sometimes I won’t even get a notification and it makes it look like I’ve left the person on ‘read’. It’s only when I open the app I realise that a message was sent to me, several minutes ago.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Reactions: DSMinAtlanta

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
Agreed - as someone who has iMessages linked with my iPhone, iPad, Mac and my Apple Watch, I get notifications on any one of those devices. It's actually made me question whether I should finally change my read receipts to no longer being shown on iMessage.

I always enjoyed leaving it on as a "sign of openness" (as ridiculous as it sounds), but there've been times I'll quickly view it on my Apple Watch but not have time to respond in the moment and forget to respond, and thus given the recipient that unintended "read it but never responded"...

Lkrojo

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2020
I’ve updated both my iPad and iPhone to the latest version - iOS 14.2 and it seems whenever someone sends me a message, it’ll automatically read the message without me going into the app? This happens completely randomly.

Sometimes I won’t even get a notification and it makes it look like I’ve left the person on ‘read’. It’s only when I open the app I realise that a message was sent to me, several minutes ago.

I’ve been having The same problem I contacted Apple and all they told me what to do was to reset my phone but that didn’t work.

Hatton920

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2012
There is an issue with iMessage which is affecting people

kellyann7147

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2022
I know this is an old thread, but I actually started to have this issue on iOS 15.6.1.
In the Apple Discussions forum, I found this thread, but unfortunately their solution does not work for me: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8504108

Is anyone else experiencing this with a current iOS version in 2022?
Did you find a new solution to this? I just started experiencing the same problem and nothing seems to be working.

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Ugh, this is happening to me on a single thread.

I woke up one day and my partner’s text thread was in recently deleted, and now since I restored it, they’re coming through as automatically read.

No odd devices listed on my Apple ID. I don’t understand 😭

OlesyaPetrova

Suspended
Mar 20, 2023

Were you able to solve the problem?

Smjj18

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2023
Clearly this issue hasn’t been fixed in any iOS updates, I’m just here to say I’m having this same issue in iOS 16.something and still after updating to iOS 17. Hope someone finds a fix!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.