iMessage messages not on all devices

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by kimjohnsson, Dec 29, 2013.

1. kimjohnsson, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013

kimjohnsson macrumors member

Hi all!

How exactly is iMessage supposed to work?

I have an iPhone, two iPads and three Macs. More often than not, if I send a text message from my iPhone (which ends up sent as an iMessage), the reply never shows up on my phone, but it does show up on any combination of iPads and Macs. This is quite annoying, as several times I have not read the reply until it was too late.

Also, there are different messages on different devices, so if I’m looking for a certain message, I need to go through several devices.

So, how should I configure iMessage so that all messages show up on all devices?

Cheers,

Kim

2. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I've run into this exact issue several times, with arguments resulting before I understood what was going on...

"Why didn't you reply!!!"
    "I did!"
    "No you didn't!"

...only to find their replies on a (apparently random) Mac or iPod later.

What I wound up doing was turning iMessage off on all of my iPads, iPods and Macs and I left it running on my iPhone only.

I wouldn't have minded if the messages went to every device, every time, but that's not what happens.

I'm not sure how it's supposed to work, I only know how it (hasn't) worked for me.

3. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Yeah, there's sometimes a lag in receiving messages on my Mac or on my iPhone, but the other way around is instantaneous. I'm guessing it's server-side.