iMessage multi phone help

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Mattymoocow, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Mattymoocow macrumors member

Mattymoocow

Hi all,

I have a personal iPhone 6, a work provided iPhone 5S and my rMB.

I am trying to just carry one phone with me - my iPhone 6 with the work Sim card it n- as they pay for it :)

I have put my personal sim into the iPhone 5S.
    I have call forward all on my personal sim to my work sim number.
    i have signed into iMessage on all devices as the same Apple ID.
    I have configured iMessage to receive from both phones plus my apple ID email address.
    I have configured iMessage to start new conversations from my home sim number.
    If I send an iMessage from my 5S (home sim), the message is correctly seen to come from my home sim phone number.
    If I send an iMessage from my rMB, the message is correctly seen to come from my home sim phone number.
    If I send an iMessage from my iPhone 6 (work sim), the message is seen to come from my work sim phone number.

No matter what I do on the iPhone6 (work sim), even though the "Start new conversations" is set to my home sim number, the messages never come through from that number.

Can this be done? or am i wasting my time trying?

I do understand that non iMessage messages are sent via the carrier and would always be seen as coming from the sim # than sent the actual message.

Thanks

2. niji macrumors 6502a

niji

hi

are you sending iMessages or SMS to persons receiving messages from yr iPhone6 with yr work provided SIM number?

if you are sending SMS from yr iPhone6 with yr work provided SIM number then they of course would be receiving yr latest messages (SMS) as being sent from your iPhone 6 with your work provided SIM.

if however you are sending them iMessages with this phone then here is how to fix it:
    - sign out of FaceTime and Messages (sign out of yr apple id in these apps)
    - then turn on Messages but dont sign into Messages using your apple id
    - send them 1 Message. it will be sent as an SMS
    - then this starts a new Message thread on their iPhones as having been sent from your SIM card number
    - then after you have sent them their SMS message you can sign back in to Messages using your apple ID and as long as you have ticked the Sent From box to be using your mobile number they will continue to receive your messages as being sent from your mobile number

if you have a mac or any other device (multiple apple devices) that use your apple ID for Messages sign out of all of them first.