iMessage not available, phone grayed out?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by noobinator, Oct 14, 2014.

1. noobinator macrumors 601

I used an iPhone for years and then switched to android recently and had a heck of a time getting messages from my contacts iPhones to reach me. There phones were trying to send imessages instead of SMS.

Finally, i removed my number from my apple support profile and text the word STOP to 48369 per instructions I found online. SMS worked for the most part.

Now, I went BACK to an older iPhone and when I am trying to use iMessage. I re-added my number to my apple profile. When I go into settings on my iphone under messages, then send and receive, it shows my email address and my phone number. I unselected my email but my phone number is grayed out and I can't select it.

So it seems like I cannot send iMessages from my iPhone using my phone number. I do not want to use my email. Anyone know why my number would be grayed out?

2. wxman2003 Suspended

Does the "Start New Conversations From" in Messages show your number with a check mark?

3. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

Ok, i turned off imessage and restarted my phone.

Now my phone number shows up and has a check but it still is only sending SMS and not imessages.

4. wxman2003 Suspended

Are you sending text to another person with an iPhone? It only works between iOS devices.

5. noobinator thread starter macrumors 601

of course I am.

6. wxman2003 Suspended

Ok, i was just checking. I know of others who couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. Some had issues because they were sending a text to multiple people. If one in that line doesn't have an iOS device, it will automatically default to a regular text. Have you tried resetting network settings? you may have to do a restore.

7. PMehta macrumors regular

It could be 'cos of the STOP text that you sent. I've never heard of texting a number to stop iMessage but checking if this is the cause might fix it.