iMessage not available, phone grayed out?

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Pasadena, CA
I used an iPhone for years and then switched to android recently and had a heck of a time getting messages from my contacts iPhones to reach me. There phones were trying to send imessages instead of SMS.

Finally, i removed my number from my apple support profile and text the word STOP to 48369 per instructions I found online. SMS worked for the most part.

Now, I went BACK to an older iPhone and when I am trying to use iMessage. I re-added my number to my apple profile. When I go into settings on my iphone under messages, then send and receive, it shows my email address and my phone number. I unselected my email but my phone number is grayed out and I can't select it.

So it seems like I cannot send iMessages from my iPhone using my phone number. I do not want to use my email. Anyone know why my number would be grayed out?

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Ok, i turned off imessage and restarted my phone.

Now my phone number shows up and has a check but it still is only sending SMS and not imessages.
Are you sending text to another person with an iPhone? It only works between iOS devices.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
of course I am.
Ok, i was just checking. I know of others who couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. Some had issues because they were sending a text to multiple people. If one in that line doesn't have an iOS device, it will automatically default to a regular text. Have you tried resetting network settings? you may have to do a restore.

PMehta

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2012
text the word STOP to 48369 per instructions I found online. SMS worked for the most part.
It could be 'cos of the STOP text that you sent. I've never heard of texting a number to stop iMessage but checking if this is the cause might fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.