iMessage not working on 5Ghz Airport network

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by groovyf, Jan 25, 2013.

1. groovyf macrumors 6502

Here's an odd one. I've got my Time Capsule setup to distribute a dual-band network. Today I've spotted then when my iPad is connected to the 5Ghz network iMessage doesn't send or receive (have functioning internet, and Mail and Notes sync OK with iCloud).
    If I then connect the iPad to the regular 2.4Ghz network, after a minute the iMessages I attempted to send, send OK and I can receive also.

I've found this out as my brother's iPad wasn't getting any messages from me (sitting in same room on same network but his iPhone was). iPhones 4S doesn't support 5Ghz, so that's connected to the 2.4Ghz network. Similarly, iMessages appeared on my iPhone but not on my iPad which I tested on 5Ghz.
    the MacBook Air on 5Ghz happily sends and receives iMessages.

Any ideas why the iPads don't? Can anyone confirm/test this for me?
    Thanks.

2. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

I have the same setup and everything works fine on both my retina iPad and iPad mini. Try going into the iPad settings and removing then re-add the 5ghz network.

3. avanpelt macrumors 68020

I've been seeing some weird iMessage behavior today both over Wi-Fi and Verizon LTE. I just started a new thread about it.

This started happening this morning for me here in the U.S. Whenever I send an iMessage that includes a picture, it says "Delivered" but a few seconds later it reverts to "Not Delivered". Turns out the messages are actually going through, though.

If I send an iMessage that is text only, it says "Delivered" and does not revert to "Not Delivered". My wife is also experiencing the same issue. She's using an iPhone 4 and I'm using an iPhone 5 and both phones have iOS 6.0.2 installed. I think something must be up with iMessage.

4. groovyf thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, tried that... "Forget network", join and type in the password again. It picks up all it needs via DHCP, can surf, etc as noted but iMessage is a no go. Even rebooted the Time Capsule.
    As soon as I put it on the 2.4 network and "sending" messages are then sent.
    Bizarre!

5. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

I assume you have also tried the good old turn everything off then on again routine?

6. groovyf thread starter macrumors 6502

I've not fully unplugged the Time Capsule from the mains yet but will try that later when I have more time.
    But iPad's have been disconnected from wi-fi, forgotten network, turned off, turned on, rejoined the 5Ghz network with no luck.
    Forgot to mention, FaceTime doesn't work either on the 5Ghz network.
    What's a real pain is I've not been anywhere near my Time Capsule wireless setup settings, and also not sure if the iPad was working on the 5Ghz before either. It's not something I check-up on.
    Frustratingly, it was connected to the 2.4 network last night, and I missed a FaceTime call today as when I looked it had joined the 5Ghz!