iMessage Number with International SIM in

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chilibball, Apr 21, 2014.

1. chilibball macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I just have a quick question about my iMessage number and how I can keep my US number as the default for when I travel internationally next month. I have been to Canada numerous times and was unable to get my method to work so I decided to come here asking for help!

What I tried doing in the past was to pop in my Truphone World SIM when in Canada and my iPhone would be able to use my US Verizon SIM for a little while before the option to use my US number for iMessage disappeared out of the list. At that point, it would use the number on the Truphone SIM.

It would be great if anyone knew a workaround for my scenario.

Thanks

2. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

There is no way to keep the phone number of an old sim card. the iPhone will automatically recognize the new sim card number and attempt to activate that number on imessage.

take note that for imessage activations to work, your phone will send an SMS text to the apple servers to confirm your number. if you aren't in the US, prepare for some international text rates on your intl' sim.

the only way around this is to use email for imessage, or use wifi with your home SIM. I think once when i used a gevy sim tray hack on a locked iphone 4S it kept my old phone number, so that might be an option if you want to try.

3. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

LOL Hey from Reddit ;)

4. chilibball thread starter macrumors member

hahaha don't worry, I posted it here first I promise.

----------

Thank you for confirming what I was thinking. I think I will just take my iPad + 4G with me an tether my iPhone 5 to that with a local European SIM card.

Thanks