iMessage on a new iPhone question?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by megaman90, Sep 11, 2015.

1. megaman90 macrumors newbie

Ok so I have a iPhone 5c but it got destroyed and is unable to be turned on. My question is when I get a new iPhone maybe the 6, Will all the iMessages that people recently sent to me after my phone got broken and were undelivered on their ios device get delivery once I get my new phone (will be the same number)? Thanks

2. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Yes.

Assuming you are restoring from a backup to the new phone.

3. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Are you sure? Even though the phone isn't working they have been delivered but never read. When you setup a new device that can receive iMessages it only gets new messages. I think.

Aww - you message was edited as I typed my response. That makes sense to me. Because it would then be like an existing iCloud account on the "new" phone.

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Yeah, after I posted I thought about that real hard - so had to go back and fix it.

I have a complete history of my messages back into when I first started using iMessage, but that's only because my backup has gone from 3GS to 5 and now to my 6+. It's been a while so it took me remembering the few times I had my phone set up as new (but with my Apple ID entered) that old messages weren't present.