iPad iMessage on iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by luv2shop85, Mar 6, 2013.

1. luv2shop85 macrumors newbie

I just got an Ipad3 yesterday. I already have an Iphone. I'm a little confused with the imessage on the ipad. I do not have a cell phone connected to my ipad. It is wifi only. I have messaged one person from my ipad and my message to them came up first as my email address. Now when they text my regular name in their phone it shows up on my ipad too.

So from what I understand, if I message people from my ipad - my original text will say my email address and then all of the other text will look as if they are coming from my name?

I have a friend with imessage who was texting me earlier on my phone but it wasn't showing up on my ipad.

2. jona2d macrumors member

In Settings > Messages > Send & Receive you can see what addresses/numbers are setup to receive iMessage content. Here, on each device, you can also set what address/number your messages are started from.

Regarding why some messages show up on the iPad, and others only on the iPhone. Only other iOS device messages will/can show up on both the iPad AND iPhone.

Since the iPad isn't a phone, non-iOS devices can't send it a 'text message', so those will only show up on your iPhone as a text in green "conversation bubbles" whereas an iMessage from another iOS device will show up on both the iPad and iPhone as a blue "conversation bubble".

Make sense?

3. luv2shop85 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I figured out the problem. I did not update the ipad to ios6 right away. Now that it's updated I can send messages from the ipad and it syncs with my phone number.