iMessage on iPad not as functional as originally expected...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vcantrell, Jun 11, 2011.

1. vcantrell macrumors member

vcantrell

Hey all, Just testing iOS on a couple iPhone 4's and and iPad 2.... and I've run into something that isn't working as expected.

I have the two iPhones that I text with... just like I would text any other iOS 5 iPhone user... and it switched to iMessage as expected. What I WANTED to be able to do was pick up my iPad, and continue the conversation as advertised. Instead, the iPad sets up with an email address... and if I take iPhone 1 and have iPhone 2 and ipad set up with said email address... if I text that email from iPhone 1, it will show on iPhone 2 and on the iPad. Hence I can respond from either device and it goes to the same window on iPhone 1... as advertised.

My issue is... if I'm texting, my girlfriend for instance, and I want to switch to the iPad to continue the iMessage conversation, I then have to start talking from my gmail which will go into a different window on her phone, and will subsequently not have our previous iMessage texting conversation from the iphones on the iPad.

Am I missing something here? or was I the only one that expected flawless integration from Apple...

2. REM314 macrumors 6502

REM314

It's the first developer beta. Don't have such high expectations.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Also, on your phone go to Settings>Messages>Receive At>Caller ID and change it to your email there. Then they won't show up as two different conversations on other people's devices.

4. vcantrell, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

vcantrell thread starter macrumors member

vcantrell

Yes but if you change that... then if it can't send, it can't switch to texting... correct?

@REM314 - Developer beta 1 doesn't mean that they change how the features work... they just work the bugs out of the features they already have. I'm just disappointed is all...

Edit: Just confirmed that even if I change my caller ID on my iPhone to the same email as my iPad, it still puts my iMessages sent from my iphone into the conversation that my texts usually go in on Her iphone, rather than the one created by my email from my iPad iMessages on her phone. Confusing stuff...

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Seriously. How many threads are going to be on here and the iPhone forum about problems with iOS 5? It's like taking your car off the rack at the repair shop before the tires are put back on and complaining about a bumpy ride.

If iOS 5 were completely fixed, it would be available for everybody to download. Why everybody is doing iOS 5 discussions here instead of dev forums beats me.

6. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

OP:

[​IMG]

Apple indeed makes it look like it should work how you're saying, and it sure seems like the logical way for it to work. Is there any way you can try having your girlfriend/wife delete your texts (from both your iPad and iPhone), and then try texting her again from both devices with Caller ID set to your email?

Also, please file a bug!!

http://bugreport.apple.com

7. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

And this is why only registered Dev. Should get Beta.

8. shandyman Suspended

in settings -> messages, scroll down to "receive at" and does it have both email and mobile number?

9. urkel macrumors 68030

Testing software is essential to software properly working. And while every beta tester isn't a developer, the discussions and issues that emerge from beta periods is useful to (almost) everyone. So if you're one of the few that is personally offended by topics like this then why not avoid the thread entirely rather than hijacking them just to lecture people who are trying to troubleshoot an issue.

10. Shawnpk macrumors 6502

I was getting weird things happening when I first started using iMessage also. Double texts, no texts appearing on my iPad, texts not getting delivered, then about an hour after using it, everything just started working. I have my iPad set to receive at my @me address only and my iPhone set to receive at my phone number and my @me address.

11. vcantrell thread starter macrumors member

vcantrell

Seriously. How many idiots like you are going to reply without the realization that this isn't a bug in the beta software, but clearly a lack of functionality clearly wrongly described by Apple. If you had ever tested iOS beta's before (as I have tested iOS 2-5) you would realize that this kind of functionality isn't just something they're going to re-write in a later beta. It's here to stay. Please check your facts before opening your mouth.

I agree... since I am... I think you should suck it up and register too ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was debating deleting the texts off iPhone 1 and testing it all new to see if that made a difference... but I think I'm going to purchase another iPhone to throw into the picture and see if perhaps it's just that there were already texts on iPhone 1 when I texted with iPhone 2 and the iPad. I'll write back when I conclude these tests.... I can only pray it works as Apple implied.