iMessage on Mac doesn't sync after last update

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HungarianStan, Sep 18, 2016.

1. HungarianStan macrumors member

I've noticed that iMessage doesn't sync on my Mac after the last OS X update. Before that, everything worked fine. After it, nothing. How to fix it? I've tried logging out and restarting and logging out of all devices from iCloud and iMessage and restarting and so on and nothing works. So, thoughts? What am I missing?

Apropos of nothing, or maybe it's linked, in Airdrop my Mac won't recognize my iPad under "My Contacts" but if I set the iPad to "everyone" then it does; this is also vice versa (i.e. the iPad doesn't recognize the Mac for Airdrop unless I set the Mac to "everyone.").

2. Mikael H macrumors 6502a

I don't know if it is related, but I had this problem early on after installing El Capitan. The short of it is that some information in my iCloud account got corrupted for some reason.

I tried everything including simultaneously resetting my iCloud settings on all devices (which was a pain, I might add). Nothing helped. In the end I finally contacted Apple's AppleID support, which had me go through some of the motions again, send in logs of what my computer was doing, etc, and after some internal conferring they escalated my case to someone higher up the food chain in there, and they in turn fixed the problem for me.

Good to know: AppleID problems seem to be supported for free even if your hardware is out of warranty. Just make relatively sure that your problem isn't a user issue.

3. HungarianStan thread starter macrumors member

Problem is, I'm in Hungary. And don't speak good Hungarian. And the site says the number is only in Hungarian. And the times are exactly when I work, so...weird. Might try the number anyway and see what happens when I finally get a chance to have a day off or something...

4. Mikael H macrumors 6502a

It's Apple. Big company. I think they have a support form you can fill in; just give them the info that you need to be contacted out of Hungarian office hours, and preferably in another language. I'm in Sweden, and they called me from Ireland (after asking politely if I'd accept a call in English).

5. HungarianStan thread starter macrumors member

I went for it, and my wife called and started ranting about something the moment they called. So, couldn't take the call. Then I went for the live chat option. Literally as I'm waiting for the person to send their first message, I decide to swipe the Text Forwarding thing on my iPhone one last time. And of course, as I'm typing my request for help, the code suddenly pops up on my Mac (after all this time). Was it the act of contacting Apple? Or my mac got scared when I contacted Apple? we'll never know...