iMessage on mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wesdog13, Feb 22, 2012.

1. wesdog13 macrumors newbie

I was wondering if it were possible to use your phone number instead of email address for iMessage to work on a mac?

2. techfest macrumors member

yep both should work since the ipod touch also uses imessage

3. stevemiller macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Pretty sure iPad, iPod touch and Mac based Messages must use email. Kinda sucks since most of my conversations are already tied to phone numbers, and it creates a separate conversation on the other persons device when I contact them using my email.

4. zombiemom macrumors member

I use a phone number or email from my macbook pro. As long as the other user has imessage registered to their email/number, should work.

5. Vook macrumors member

Vook

I don't think you can, I've tried, but then again I'm not that smart.

6. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

You can send messages FROM your Mac using your registered iMessages email address TO and FROM an external Phone number.

You CANNOT receive messages on your Mac that are sent TO your phone number.

For example... iMessages sent to my iPhone Cell# 630-XXX-XXXX will NOT appear on my mac. There is no way to program your cell# to "receive" on your Mac.

It is a major downfall. Good description (and idea for solution) here:

http://theapplerookie.com/2012/02/19/how-to-fix-imessage-and-sms-fragmentation/