iMessage on Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mattjackson, Feb 2, 2017.

1. mattjackson macrumors member

Hi. I've used a Mac for a while but never bothered using iMessage on it, only used that on my iPhone. I decided today to give it a go though. So I signed into iMessage on my Mac. The messages/conversations that I have in my Messages app on my iPhone haven't synced/appeared on my Mac, is this right? Will I only get new messages come through to my Mac? I was expecting that everything I had in Messages on my iPhone would sync.

Cheers

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

You will only get new messages. There is no syncing.

3. mattjackson thread starter macrumors member

Ah OK thanks. How does the notification system work, i.e. my Mac now notifies me (when it's on) when I get a message, but the notification doesn't seem to appear on my iPhone. The message is there in the Messages app, but no notification. Is this right? Sometimes I leave my desk for 30 mins-1 hour but my Mac's still on, so this could be annoying.

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

That's odd. You should still get the notification on your phone.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

If Messages is the "frontmost"/active application on your Mac the iMessage/SMS ecosystem will consider the message "read" in the conversation that is showing.

So...when you leave you desk you should either quit Messages, hide Messages, or make a different app the active application.