iMessage on OS X Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ryan Burgess, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Ryan Burgess macrumors 6502

Hello, I have a MacBook Pro with mountain lion installed and I love using messages to text from my mac.

However I also have a MacBook that cannot be upgraded to Mountain Lion, and I would like to be able to get iMessage on this computer. Is there any way to do that?

I tried just copying the app from the MacBook Pro to my other computer, but when I try to open it, it just quits. Any suggestions greatly appreciated thanks!

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. Ryan Burgess thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there ANY way to run iMessage on Lion? Or is my only option to upgrade my non-compatible computer? Thanks!

4. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Take a look at hackerwayne's superb tutorial on how to get Mountain Lion on your unsupported Mac. It's really simple now that he's released MLPostFactor, which just automates & does everything for you. I used it to shoehorn Mountain Lion onto my X1600 iMac & my GMA950 white MacBook.

5. Ryan Burgess thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks alot, I was about to start the tutorial but realized I gave a x1300! Yikes...it would've bricked my mac!

Thanks tho!

6. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

They're currently working on V0.2, which will provide support for X1xxx based Macs. Sit tight!

7. Ryan Burgess thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya, keeping my fingers crossed…do you know if their hack supports iMessage tho? I heard that iMessage and FaceTime don't work?

8. MLforAll macrumors member

Hello ! I'm MLforAll, the famous hackerwayne's colaborator on MLPostFactor. My iMac X1600 is running MLPostFactor 0.2.2 Final Private Beta. This release (not released for public actually) will come with a new installer app for both System and Installation (no longer /Hack.command). I have iMessage AND Facetime working as well as wake up (some users had kernel panic with 0.1) and bluetooth !
    We added support for GeForce Cards and ATI Radeon 1xxx (1300 working).
    We also inclued 10.8.3 support.

I enjoy to report over 25,000 downloads for 0.1 ! Thank you all !

9. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

I take it it will be on general release after the beta?

10. MLforAll macrumors member

I cannot say the release date.... Wait.... :)
    But, we aren't encountered any bugs in that beta, so the wait time must short !

11. Ryan Burgess thread starter macrumors 6502

Hallelujah! I'll be anxiously awaiting the release!