iMessage Phone Number + Apple ID Unification

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Kennysmoothx, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Kennysmoothx macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So I've been scouting this forum for the past month or so and have seen that some people have successfully unified their Phone # with their Apple ID using their iPad.

Is there a way to do this without an iPad on iOS6?

I just merely want the unification so I can finally use the message app on ML.
    I have an iPhone on iOS 6.

Thanks.

2. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

The messages has not been updated to support this and I don't think it will be updated until iOS 6 comes out. I could be wrong but I do know as of right now it does not work.

3. Kennysmoothx thread starter macrumors newbie

4. tiwizard macrumors regular

The Messages beta on Lion does not need to be updated to support this. I have been texting/iMessaging from my computer to contacts that see my phone number, as well as having the sent and received messages sync across devices.

5. Kennysmoothx thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you please explain how you got this to work.?

6. tiwizard macrumors regular

All I recall doing is disable and reenabling iMessage on my iPhone (rebooting after disabling, and after enabling). I never touched Messages-- I just opened it up after I had done that and my messages started appearing once someone replied to my phone number.

7. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I have an ipad and got it working but what I had to do was sign into my apple id settings and make sure my number was listed under mobile number then turn imessage off and on a few times and I got the popup on my iphone to use my number on other devices and then a popup on my ipad.

8. tiwizard macrumors regular

The popup will only show up if you have an iPad. For me, since I only have a Mac & iPhone, there was no message about it being unified. It just did it.

9. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I dunno my pop up showed up on the iphone right after i put my phone number in. then later on the ipad. but the ipad may have triggered it I suppose.

10. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

So to clarify you're able to send iMessages under your phone number from your Mac. Not iMessages from your email address associated with the service.

At the moment I've only been able to get iMessages on my Mac from the email account associated with iMessages not my phone number.

On iPad I can use both phone number and iMessage email.

11. tiwizard macrumors regular

Yeah. The person I've been texting is sending messages to my phone number. They don't even have my email address.

12. thegob macrumors newbie

My iPad 2 is on iOS 6 but my iP4 is on iOS 5. Does my phone have to be on iOS6 in order to get the unified (phone number) Messages working on my iPad?

I've tried various orders of disabling/signing out of Messages on the devices but it hasn't worked yet and I didn't want to load iOS6 on my ip4 yet.

13. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Yes, unified messaging is an iOS6 feature.

14. bartonlynch macrumors regular

That's annoying. Surely it'll come to the Mac soon.

15. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

How exactly did you guys get iMessages to sync over iOS 6 and Mountain Lion? I've tried to follow everything in this thread with no success.

- My Apple ID mobile number is set.
    - Messages is set up with my Apple ID on my Mac.
    - I can be reached by iMessages via Apple ID on my iPhone.
    - I tried turning iMessage on/off.

What else do I need to do or fix?

16. pad07 macrumors regular

I've tried everything too. I'm thinking it's not possible.

17. Scott90 macrumors 6502

That's not the same thing. It's one thing to receive messages on your Mac that were sent to your phone number, but it is currently not possible to send messages FROM your phone number to someone. This may seem like it makes no difference, I don't really want people to use my email address for iMessage. All I want them to ever see is my phone number.

18. bzzlink macrumors newbie

I can confirm this is working on ML and iOs 5.1.1

I have set up imessages on my phone with reachable on my phonenumber and apple ID

Now I can answer messages on my phone and the conversation in messages is uppdated with my sent message as well. Sweet!

19. jayem1234, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

jayem1234 macrumors regular

Wrong thread. Don't know how to delete. sorry.

20. pad07 macrumors regular

Please tell me how you can send from your phone number and receive to your phone number on Mountain Lion.

21. Funkmasta macrumors member

Just set up the same email to recieve messages from on your devices and your Mac. I used my gmail account and left all the others unchecked and it works just like it's supposed to.

22. Funkmasta macrumors member

This is actually a really cool feature, I wish there was a way to force forward texts to it and not just iMessages.

Had a long chat with my brother tonight that started on my phone, and then jumped back and forth from my iPad and Mac as I moved around the house. Seamless and cool.

----------

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 99% of the time people are seeing your contact card (your name) rather than your phone number or email address since they are registered for iMessage and must have iOS device.

Nobody sees your email on an outgoing message unless I'm mistaken.

23. andybrown44 macrumors regular

Yeah we know about this, what we are waiting for is the ability to send and receive messages on a mac from a phone number. It seems that people who are saying they have it working are misunderstanding what is happening.

24. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

I agree. I think the confusion is thinking that you are sending from your phone number from your iPhone when in reality you aren't most likely. You have it setup up to send from your email address.

There is no way ML can do the phone number feature like in iOS 6 for now. Although it seems like we won't have to wait for long if the rumored Sept 12 release date for the iPhone is true.

25. icodyonline, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

icodyonline macrumors newbie

Unify your phone number and email for your MacBook and/or iPhone

This will allow you to use your phone number to send and receive iMessages from your iPhone and your MacBook in a single unified chat thread and not two.

Anyone will tell you that I am a hardcore Apple Fan, however, sometimes they lack in the instructions area. For a while now I have had a problem with iMessages being sent from my MacBook. I could send an iMessage from my phone with no problem and my friend would receive it from my phone number however, the problem would arise when I would send a iMessage from my MacBook to to the same friend and a new thread would be created, so in essence she would have two different messages for me, one from my phone number and one from my email. After numerous attempts of contacting Apple Customer Service with no avail, I eventually figured it out on my own. I did aggrate some friends because I had to send messages relentlessly. In the end I found a solution and here are the instructions.

You’re going to go into iMessage on your computer, go to messages in the top left, click on preferences and then click on accounts. Look under “you can be reached for messages at” you should see your email and or your phone number.

If you do not see your phone number you need to add it to your account at this site. “https://appleid.apple.com/” click on manage your Apple ID and then sign in. After you sign in you will go to another screen and on your left you’ll see a list of choices click on phone numbers. Add your phone number and click save changes. It usually takes a few seconds for your iMessage account to update. Completely quit iMessage in the toolbar and then reopen it and go back into messaging preferences and then accounts.

After that has been done your phone number should now be added to the “you can be reached for messages at” section. Click on your phone number and then uncheck your email address.

Then go into your iPhone settings, messages, then scroll down to send and receive. Uncheck any email, only your phone number should have a checkmark, if your phone number does not have a checkmark... check it. You should receive a pop-up on your iPhone saying so-and-so’s MacBook is now using “insert phone number here” for iMessages.