iMessage phone settings on iPad 3

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by elvanblue, Nov 26, 2012.

1. elvanblue macrumors newbie

Can anyine tell me if the 'receive at' phone number for iMessage on the iPad 3 is manually typed in or automatic? To give a bit of back-ground:

I have a friend who I've long-term loaned my iPad 3 to, complete with my apple id details, for an arts project we're both working on (it's cool I trust him, and can always change the password if he does spend up big - which he isn't).

Last week I received an iMessage from a phone number which was only one different to my own, unsigned but in perfect context to where he an I are at. ie He's dropped out of contact for a bit, I've been going buggy and grasping with trying for contact, then I get this text that says 'I know you're being protective, but I'm exploring some issues of my own' etc. Basically saying 'cool it girl, everything's ok, I just need some time to myself for a bit'

I called the phone number in question and it was answered by a woman, who swears she didn't send any text of that nature to anyone that evening. So the question I have is:

Could he have manually typed in my ph as the 'receive at' ph number and mis-typed *and* still have the iMessage go through fine? (I'm presuming so, as no matter what 'number' it comes from, it's actually using the apple id to pass messages on from the iPad).

The message was in such perfect context that it would be truly bizarre to have come form someone else, but as I can't contact him at the moment, I can't check at that end to be sure...

2. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

I think it is automatic. The iMessage settings don't give you the option to edit a number, only to add/remove a number. The only place I remember where one could add/edit/remove a number is on an iPhone under settings/phone/my number. I think this number on an iPhone is added to your AppleID, synced to your other devices, and appear under iMessage settings on each device.

If you need to contact him, you can also log into iCloud.com, click on findmyiphone (or whichever one they call it), select the iPad you let him borrow, and send him an alert sound and message requesting he contact you. You should also hopefully be able to see where the iPad is on a map at that moment, and could drive there if you wish. Just a thought.