Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oktober

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
United Kingdom of Great Britain
I have done a test with two people with ios5. One person when I iMessage him it comes ups as a text. I get a iMessage from him. But both friends that I have tried I appear as my apple ID account and not phone number or name in contacts. Whats going on?

-Darren

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
you could try turning iMessage off and on, maybe it'll have to register your phone number again.

does the device even know your own number?

Settings -> Phone -> "My Number"

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
Based on the title of the thread I thought that issue was auto correct not working. ;)

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
If I understand you correctly, this may be relevant.

On Thursday, I updated my wife's phone to iOS5.

Yesterday, if I tried to message her number, it came up as SMS. If I tried to message her by her email address, it used iMessage.

Today, iMessage works for both. So it maybe just needs some time to register the number on the iMessage server.

Oktober

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
United Kingdom of Great Britain
Mine appears to be working with one friend. Just testing the other.

I did what Fliesen said "you could try turning iMessage off and on, maybe it'll have to register your phone number again.

does the device even know your own number?

Settings -> Phone -> "My Number"

I now have in Settings > Messages > Receive At > 2 address

You can be reached for messages at Phone number then underneath my apple ID.

And its working

dizzy130

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
Syncing?

Is syncing between phone and iPad working for anyone? I thought I had it all set up correctly - same appleid for iPad and iPhone, caller id set as email address on phone, etc - but my iPad is not getting iMessages. Any suggestions?

Frankenstein

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Does anyone know why my iMessages are not working on my iPhone? It works great on my iPad, but for some reason all I can do in the messages app is send text messages. My wife and I both got a 4s today so I know it should work. I even turned texting off in settings and I have them blocked via AT&T. Also, when I try to create a new message, it only shows my contacts' mobile numbers. Everything else on the phone works great and I am loving the notifications. Any help is greatly appreciated. I cut off texting since $30/month for texting in today's smartphone filled world is ludacris. So I am planning on relying on iMessage pretty heavily.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Today, iMessage works for both. So it maybe just needs some time to register the number on the iMessage server.

I think this is it. My iPhone and iPad worked right away, but my daughter's iPhone would not work no matter what and after about 12 hours it just started working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.