iMessage problem on verizon iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by climber20, Oct 10, 2011.

1. climber20 macrumors member

Installed iOS 5 gold master on both my verizon iPhone 4 and iPad 1 (wifi only). iMessage works like a charm on the iPad, but on the iPhone, messages will show up, but there's no badge on the icon and there's no notification sound indicating I have a new message. If I open up the green messages icon, then the message is there.

I went through settings and double checked everything to make sure sounds and notifications are on. Regular text messages receive fine, it's just the iMessages that don't trigger any sort of notification. Anyone else with a verizon iphone 4 having this problem?

2. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

Kinda makes you wished for the official download huh;)

3. climber20 thread starter macrumors member

Figured out the problem. I was messaging myself from iPad to iPhone using the same apple ID and email address. I set up a second apple ID - a dummy account basically - for the iPad and kept the original on the iPhone, and everything works perfectly now. So apparently if you try to imessage yourself on a different device and both devices have the same apple ID, the notification system must have some kind of bug where it doesn't register on certain devices.

4. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

It's probably not a bug... it just knows that you already read it... because you wrote it. So there's nothing "new" to display a badge for.

5. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

Bug? I think they assume if you message yourself you should know it... aside from having a split personality of course...

6. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Are you one of those people that talk to themselves on the subway/bus? Or one of those people that pretend to talk to someone on the phone when in fact they're just talking to nothing? ;)

Glad you found the problem.