iMessage query

ad30

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
Hi

Please excuse a possibly pretty basic question.

I have iMessage switched on on my phone. Don't use it that much as the people I mainly text don't have iPhones or haven't updated or whatever, so I don't really know how iMessage is meant to work tbh.

But the other day I got an iMessage from someone I don't know. Just their email address showed up. It seemed to be a wrong number and only half a text so I thought, they've realised their error. Then I got another text. And today another, saying why don't you reply. I replied to say you have a wrong number. At which point they sent me a load of nonsense. I said please stop texting me, and they said no. So I turned off iMessage.

I'm not sure how this could have happened. I don't recognise the email address. I'm in London, and it's from a US ISP. Can you iMessage an email address? i.e. if they'd typed in the wrong email address it could have gone to me? I thought it required the actual phone number. If so, is it just like a standard wrong number, they've somehow entered my [UK] phone number in their address book, and Apple's realised I have iMessage so sent it via iMessage?

And is there a way I can block them if need be?

As I said, sorry for a newbie question!

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Yes, iMessage works with an email if you've got on in there, or it could just be a wrong number.

No, there is no way to block.

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
Yes, iMessage works with an email if you've got on in there, or it could just be a wrong number.

No, there is no way to block.
Not true. There is an app called iBlacklist (paid not free) that allows you to BLOCK any cell # and/or email address with iMessage.

I have it and use it and it works great.