iMessage question: changing number mid-conversation

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by peteyio, Jan 3, 2017.

1. peteyio macrumors newbie

peteyio

Hello,

Firstly, new to the forum but I've always been an avid reader. So, I have a quick question regarding iMessage and apologies if this is in the wrong section.

So, scenario: I have many iMessage conversations. I'm changing my number to a new number, and I will completely de-activate my old number from iMessage. I've always started conversations via my number in Settings vs using an iCloud email address.

My question is, once I have deactivated the old number and move to the new number, will existing iMessage conversations continue to send/receive as normal or will the other person no longer be able to send messages to me? This is both a good and a bad thing (as I could do with 'getting rid' of some people in my conversation list.)

2. niji macrumors 6502a

niji

since you have chosen to identify you the sender using your (old) mobile fon number, your new conversations (using your new mobile number) will appear as new conversations in iOS on your iOS device.
    as well, the receivers will also open a different thread than before.

the receivers will have no problem receiving your messages. they will just be in a different thread than the thread sent between your old number.

if you choose to identify you the sender using an iCloud registered email address, then you and the receivers would not have this occur.

as far as I know, older threads will not be deleted however unless you delete them.