iMessage Question: How does it actually work?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by faqdroid, Oct 13, 2014.

1. faqdroid macrumors newbie

Howdy.

New iPhone 6. Created an Apple ID...etc.

Now I've received a text from my friend, but instead of showing her number in my Messages App, it states her EMAIL address. I understand that it is because we are both using iPhones, but why didn't her name appear as her name as stored in my contacts list?

ALSO, what if I am outside or disabled my Wi-Fi/3G connection, if she texts me, will it then be sent to my phone number, and NOT my iMessage/Apple ID address?

Here are extra details.

Message settings:

iMessage: enabled
    Send as SMS: enabled
    Send & Receive: 2 addresses (phone and iMessage/ID)

So, say I'm not connected to the internet, if she continues her text thread from our previous conversation on iMessage, will I still receive the text on my phone, ie, it will be sent to my actual phone number instead? (Since I'm not connected via Wi-Fi).

Thank you! :)

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Your friend may have her email address selected in Settings>Messages>Send & Receive>START NEW CONVERSATION FROM on the device she is sending from.

If your iPhone's data/wifi is off completely, you have NO other running devices or computers set up to receive your iMessages, and she has Settings>Messages>Send as SMS "On" then the iPhone will try to send the message as SMS.

At least that's the way I think it would work!