iMessage Question

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Armen, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Looking for answers on the following because I haven't quite figured it out yet.

1. Currently when I send someone an iMessage using my Macbook the reply from them triggers a notification on my iPhone. Is there a setting somewhere that will notify the sending iDevice only?

2. All iMessages I receive on my iPhone are also present on my Macbook even if I read and deleted them on the phone. Is there a way to stop this from happening?

Thanks in advance.

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I don't have a mac but I think the notification will go to what ever it is in the settings and I dont THINK you can make it go only to the sending device. The second question is very hard for me to answer cuz I have never owned a Mac so I cant answer that.

3. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

That's the thing. I send with the Mac and my iPhone chirps when someone replies.

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Well I wouldn't look at that as bad but I can see how it could be annoying to be sending iMessage from your computer and hearing you phone every time you get a reply mostly when your phones not by you.

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

6. shandyman Suspended

iMessage is meant to work like this, it's meant to notify over all iOS devices/Macs when a message comes in and show them on all devices.

As for deleting messages from one device, but not others, this is how it's always worked, by design. For ever person that wants it to delete from all, you'll have one that doesn't want that.

7. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

One day we might be granted a feature that will allow us to choose where deleting messages off one device, deletes them off all the devices. Until then, one cannot simply delete an iMessage of all devices with one action :D

8. P1otr macrumors member

It's meant that way. What if you send a message from your Mac nad leave home? Wouldn't you like to recieve a reply straight to your iPhone or iPad?
    I would.

9. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I'd love it if it actually worked that way, but sadly it doesn't: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1689910

Replies seem to go to a random device. As such I've turned off iMessage on all of my devices except for my iPhone.

10. shandyman Suspended

in all the time its been available, me, my friends and family have never had a problem.....

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Works about as expected for me. Replies give me an alert on both my iPhone and ipad, generally not on my iMac unless I have been recently active. Entire conversation history works on all devices. I just wish it would work on my PC!

12. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Good for you!

Obviously since it works for you, it's not a problem for anyone else, right?

13. shandyman Suspended

iMessage Question

Well my family and group of friends consists of about 50 people, so thought that was a good sample group. Not saying it's 100% perfect, but what is? Just cos you have a problem, doesn't mean it's a problem for everyone else, right?

14. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Not a bad sample group, but certainly not perfect.

Go to the thread I linked above - someone else has this issue too.

I've also had friends with this issue. It's not rare.

15. shandyman Suspended

Looks like a less than my sample group though. Therefore it is only affecting a small minority...

16. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Most generally, iMessage issues can be solved by turning off iMessage on all computers and devices. Then turn on iMessage on the iPhone first (it uses a phone number & AppleID), then turn on the other devices one at a time.

It goes without saying, but ensure through iMessage Settings all your devices are using the same AppleID (also ensure this is not an AppleID a family member is also using). Then finally verify in Settings under "Send & Receive" that your phone number and Apple ID are registered for all devices.

Of note, if you have a device set to send from your AppleID as opposed to your phone number, any replies to an iMessage generated on that device will be sent to your AppleID and not your phone number. This is important to understand.

17. shandyman Suspended

I think that is where most problems arise, having 2 ways of contact selected in settings. I have it set so it's just using the phone number, no email addresses. I got all my friends and family doing the same.

18. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

I'm not quite sure how this related to my issue. I sent an iMessage from my macbook and get responses back on both my iPhone and macbook even though I'm actively on the macbook and my iPhone is asleep.

19. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

iMessage is working as intended. I would recommend contacting Apple for feedback. http://www.apple.com/feedback/

20. shandyman Suspended

Hats what it is designed to do. Where's the problem?

21. Armen thread starter macrumors 604

Armen

The problem is my iPhone chirps every time a response comes to an iMessage I send through my MacBook. If I enable iMessages on my iPad I will have 3 devices chirping

22. coolguy4747 macrumors member

This probably won't help you because I don't know if you could get it to work this way or if it would even be desirable, but it might be possible. I have iMessage enabled on my iPhone, iPad mini, and macbook pro, and replies usually go to the sending device first, and then the other two will chirp 5-10 seconds later. So if I read the message fast enough, I don't have to hear my other devices.

23. tennisproha macrumors 6502a

To answer your question, unfortunately this is how it's currently designed to work. The devices don't sync with each other in real time, so clearing on 1 won't automatically clear on all other devices. Yes it's annoying but it is what it is rt now.

24. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

This is how it is suppose to work. Imagine sending an iMessage to a friend or family member using your MBP. The message sends just fine, but the receiving party doesn't read your message until the next day. At this time, your MBP is tucked away and your now sporting your iphone on a commute to the grocery store. When your iMessage is replied to, you get it instantly on your iphone.

This is the intent of iMessage...to have the ability to carry on a conversation regardless of what device you are using.

If you do not like this feature, then I suggest creating a separate AppleID for devices you want treated in this unique fashion. Otherwise, you'll just have to enjoy messages going to all your devices.

25. shandyman Suspended

As people have stated, that's exactly how it's designed to work..... Notifies on all devices. When you read it on one device, it will show as read over all devices. If you send a message from your mac, then go out, you'd want the reply notification going to the phone, surely?? Also to the laptop I case it's after you return?.