iMessage question

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Boyd01, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Have been using iCloud and iMessage for almost a year now and they're great. But something happened today that surprised me. I'm staying with a friend in Europe and have temporarily added a data/phone plan but not a message plan since everyone I want to text is on iMessage.

Was waiting to receive a text from my friend so we could get together after a meeting she was attending. I had a good 3g data connection and sent her a couple iMessage but never got a receipt since she was inside a building with no cell reception. I have the option to send iMessages as text turned off so that I won't get billed for international text messages.

After she left the building she was able to text me as usual with iMessage, but the earlier messages I sent her just vanished. Is this what is supposed to happen? I expected the messages to be queued and delivered when she went into a data coverage area.

2. NukeIT macrumors regular

ATT/Apple hold them on the server in the states for me. But have no idea how that is handled with the international providers.

I fly a lot and always refer to my phone as a slot machine when I land and the iMessages catch up with me.

3. Boyd01 thread starter macrumors 68040

Boyd01

LOL. I could understand if it were an issue with different international phone providers. But I thought iMessages were cached on Apple's own servers. Not a big deal, just something odd. At least iMessage has the receipt function so I knew that she hadn't received my messages and was able to give her a call to see what was happening.

But even at home in the US, there are some oddities. I often use iMessage on my MacBook Air since it's easier to type than a phone. Sometimes these messages show on my phone, other times they don't.

4. impaler macrumors 6502

5. Boyd01 thread starter macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Really, I'm very happy with iMessage. This was just one of those odd glitches that I wondered about. Just about everyone I want to text is on the iPhone. I only have the basic text message plan and in the past I would often exceed my limit. Since iMessage has come along, that just never happens. It's especially great to be able to text my friend in Greece without international charges. :)