iMessage, Send As SMS and MMS

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by GreyOS, Nov 27, 2014.

1. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Quick couple of questions, hopefully. Bit tricky/costly to test myself so hoping someone might already know.

1. On iPhone, if you try to send a picture message on iMessage and it fails, and you have 'Send As SMS' on, does it send as an MMS, or does this fall back option only apply to text-only SMS?

2. If it does send these picture messages as MMS, does disabling MMS Messaging prevent this? I know this setting prevents you sending an MMS from scratch but I'm just checking the iMessage>MMS fallback case is also prevented.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

1, yes it'll send as an mms
    2, not sure but I would presume if the toggle is off it'll fail to send.

3. graclarkey macrumors newbie

I know this is an old post, but does anyone know the answer to number 2 in the original question?

1. If “Send as SMS” is on and you send a multimedia iMessage, it definitely does ‘fallback’ to MMS. I keep “Send as SMS” off for this reason, as in the UK most carriers charge handsomely for sending MMS.

2. I suspect that the MMS setting only applies to new messages - can anyone confirm? If it applies to multimedia iMessages too, I might consider leaving “Send as SMS” on.

Apple’s official explanations of the intricacies of iMessage implementation are non-existent, and I can’t find the answer to this in any forums.

4. GreyOS thread starter macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Hi I’m the OP and in UK too.

I have Send as SMS fallback on and MMS off and I’ve never sent an MMS when an iMessage picture fails to send.

One thing to be warned of though: turning off MMS it may also disable receiving MMS. At least, the few times someone has sent me one I get a link to a website to view it because it failed to deliver. Could be for other reasons but could well be because I disabled it.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 13, 2017 ---
    Edit: just doing some testing and messages seems to ignore my MMS off setting when I send a picture which is worrying... this is as a new message not the fallback feature though