iMessage sending from strange phone number

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mbaker23, Sep 19, 2013.

1. mbaker23 macrumors newbie

Hello. I recently upgraded my iPhone 5 to iOS 7, and since then my iMessages are being sent from a strange phone number that isn't mine. I've never had this problem in the past. My actual phone number won't show up as an option in the "Send & Receive" list for Messages. I have Sprint as my carrier if that makes a difference. Thank you for any help in this matter.

-Mitch

2. atrainR macrumors newbie

Mitch, I have the same exact problem! I also have Sprint and soon after I upgraded to iOS 7, my iMessages have been sent thru a weird number which I found to be the last 7 digits of my ICCID number(settings>general>about). This is very strange, I even called sprint so they could give me help and the just forwarded me to Apple which ended up ending my call without me speaking to anyone...such a mess, any luck yet??

3. jdaniel macrumors 65816

is sprint cdma? just disable imessage, re-set network settings.. hard reset the phone then enable again and see if it fixes it. thats the usual trouble shooting..

4. mbaker23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for responding, but I'm still having no luck! I tried re-setting my network settings with a hard re-set of my phone, and my iMessage still wants to send from that strange number. (**I think you might be right atrainR, it does seem to be part of my ICCID number.)

Also, from what I understand, Sprint is cdma. Anymore advice? :confused:

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Turn iMessage off

Reboot phone

Turn iMessage on (wait for it to validate)

Check send receive settings

6. mbaker23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Turning off iMessage and re-setting my phone isn't working. My phone number still won't even show up as an option.

[​IMG]

(That second blacked-out row is my email address.)

7. atrainR macrumors newbie

Honestly, looks like we might have gotten a glitch in the update or just defected phones...my insurance replaces it for free so I'm thinking that getting a new phone is my only option.

8. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Or restore the phone and start new

9. mbaker23 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did a complete restore of my phone, and it fixed the problem! Thank you so much for all the help :)

10. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Good ! That usually solves problems just a pita