Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salzrat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2015
I often capture pics in iMessage and send them to my wife, but I would really like them to be preserved. As far as I remember, up to iOS9 these photos were automatically in the camera roll. Now, when I tap in the live preview, the photo stays in iMessage. only if i swipe and open the actual camera app does the photo get saved. But that is really cumbersome. Is there a fix for this behavior?

ry-guy

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2015
North of Sweden
Even in IOS 9, all photos taken and sent in IMessage are saved in iMessage under "Details" on the top right of a thread. This is Why some peoples iMessage takes up GB worth of storage on their phones. you can hold on the photos to choose to save them to your roll, and then delete them so they don't take up space.

Reactions: Tycho24

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Even in IOS 9, all photos taken and sent in IMessage are saved in iMessage under "Details" on the top right of a thread. This is Why some peoples iMessage takes up GB worth of storage on their phones. you can hold on the photos to choose to save them to your roll, and then delete them so they don't take up space.
But were they not saved to the camera roll as well automatically too when you took the photo?

stupidpancreas

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2014
I often capture pics in iMessage and send them to my wife, but I would really like them to be preserved. As far as I remember, up to iOS9 these photos were automatically in the camera roll. Now, when I tap in the live preview, the photo stays in iMessage. only if i swipe and open the actual camera app does the photo get saved. But that is really cumbersome. Is there a fix for this behavior?

I liked the automatic save to the photo album as well. Not sure why it was disabled. It would be nice if we had the option.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I liked the automatic save to the photo album as well. Not sure why it was disabled. It would be nice if we had the option.
It seems it's set up like that when the small viewfinder is used for the picture, if you go expand to go into the full camera mode then it will save the picture to camera roll as well.

salzrat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2015
Yes. But going to the large viewfinder adds many more taps. Already having to expand the arrow to get to the camera icon in many cases adds to the taps. It was just much quicker in ios 9...

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
No, i think they did it intentionally so not every random "snap" u take ends up spamming ur actual photo library

Yes. This.

"Spamming" is absolutely the right word.

I am SO glad they disabled that. I only want to save about 1/10 photos that I send by iMessage. Previously I had to go back and erase them from the camera roll 9 out of 10 times. Now I just have to remember to hold and save the photo 1/10 times.

Not to mention that erasing took 5-10 seconds whereas saving a photo takes about 2-3 seconds.

It's a huge time-saver all around.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia

it makes sense not to save to the camera roll if you think about it... photo's taken within a message usually mean you just want to send that photo to that particular person. granted a setting to save all photo's taken to camera roll should be available, but this is Apple... rarely do we get options

taran420

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Yes. But going to the large viewfinder adds many more taps. Already having to expand the arrow to get to the camera icon in many cases adds to the taps. It was just much quicker in ios 9...
The quick capture option in iOS 9 did not save the pictures in your camera roll. You had to open the camera within messages and that would save the pictures.

The quick pic option in iOS 10 is similar to the one in iOS 9 by holding the button and swiping up

salzrat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2015
The quick capture option in iOS 9 did not save the pictures in your camera roll. You had to open the camera within messages and that would save the pictures.

The quick pic option in iOS 10 is similar to the one in iOS 9 by holding the button and swiping up

That's possible. Never used the quickcapture in ios9, was too cumbersome for me. But opening the camera was way quicker in ios9!
[doublepost=1474869993][/doublepost]
Yes. This.

"Spamming" is absolutely the right word.

I am SO glad they disabled that. I only want to save about 1/10 photos that I send by iMessage. Previously I had to go back and erase them from the camera roll 9 out of 10 times. Now I just have to remember to hold and save the photo 1/10 times.

Not to mention that erasing took 5-10 seconds whereas saving a photo takes about 2-3 seconds.

It's a huge time-saver all around.

For me it's exactly the other way round. So there should be an option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.