Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
Hi guys

Is there any way to access imessages (all history or going forward) via using Apple ID. If I go to "settings" > "messages" > "send & receive" on a friend's iphone - sign out of his Apple ID and then input mine, would that transfer all my imessage history to his phone? Will I also get some sort of notification about that on my phone or e-mail?

Help is greatly appreciated - thanks in advance
Greg

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Hi guys

Is there any way to access imessages (all history or going forward) via using Apple ID. If I go to "settings" > "messages" > "send & receive" on a friend's iphone - sign out of his Apple ID and then input mine, would that transfer all my imessage history to his phone? Will I also get some sort of notification about that on my phone or e-mail?

Help is greatly appreciated - thanks in advance
Greg

No, iMessage history doesn't sync.

Yes, you will get a notification on all devices (computer, iPad etc.) using the same Apple ID for iMessage, informing you that a new device is now using iMessage.

gnc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
Thanks guys - that is extremely helpful. That notification message - should it show device's name - like xxx iphone started using your imessage account etc? Phone name under general settings?

Thanks
G

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.