Carrier iMessage showing wrong phone #

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by techiegirl, Dec 15, 2018.

1. techiegirl macrumors 65816

techiegirl

We’ve spent the past day working on this and with Apple support, with no luck. Hope one of you can help.

We ported my daughter’s AT&T phone # over to one of my Verizon lines last night. Her phone’s iMessage is showing my old Verizon # and not her phone #. Between tech support and myself, we have tried turning off and on iMessage, removing and restoring her iCloud and her phone. We went into DFU mode and restored her phone completely.

She is receiving phone calls and text messages fine on her phone #. it’s just that iMessage is showing my old # and there’s no way to update iMessage to her #. Tech support suggest logging into the web and removing the phone #, but since that # doesn’t exist anymore, there’s no way to receive a confirmation cold to remove the # off iMessages.

2. niji Contributor

niji

things to check/do:
    have you visited the iCloud.com site to see if your phone is (still) listed as a trusted device?
    or, hav made sure that your turned off Find iPhone for this device?
    have you made sure that iTunes does not list this as an Authorized device?
    have you turned off iCloud iMessages?
    did you make sure that your old phone, when turned on, does NOT still first need your iCloud password in order to associated with a new iCloud account (if the old phone is asking for your password at all then in fact the device itself is still associated with your account).

3. techiegirl thread starter macrumors 65816

techiegirl

have you visited the iCloud.com site to see if your phone is (still) listed as a trusted device?
    YES

or, hav made sure that your turned off Find iPhone for this device?
    Find my iPhone has been turned off and back on

have you made sure that iTunes does not list this as an Authorized device?
    We only used iTunes to do the DFU restore and it was listed as authorized.

have you turned off iCloud iMessages?
    I have turned off and on iMessages and removed and added iCloud several times.

did you make sure that your old phone, when turned on, does NOT still first need your iCloud password in order to
    It’s always been her phone with her iCloud. It was never my phone. We bought it (Xr) last week and used her line (AT&T) on eSIM and my old (Verizon) line on physical SIM. We decided to port her line to Verizon and only use the physical sim. That’s when the trouble started.

associated with a new iCloud account (if the old phone is asking for your password at all then in fact the device itself is still associated with your account).
    The phone is not asking for a password other than the normal pin code and/or Face ID.

4. techiegirl thread starter macrumors 65816

techiegirl

Went to Verizon and changed SIM cards. That fixed it.