iMessage/SMS sound notification while in other apps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yomama126, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Yomama126 macrumors newbie

This is probably a simple question for someone more knowledgeable, so forgive me.
    While listening to music, or an audiobook via speaker I do not get a message notification sound if I receive an iMessage or text. With my previous device (Android) the notification sound would occur, causing a brief pause in the music or book. Is it possible to do this on an iPhone?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. thatanonymoususer macrumors regular

thatanonymoususer

If your iPhone's silent switch is on, it won't give you any notifications if something happens on your phone other than vibrating. This is useful for if you want to play music for a party, etc.

If you turn off your silence switch, the phone will make the music quieter, play your text sound, and then eventually turn the music back up.

The alternative is to get an Apple Watch. :p

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

4. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Yeah by default, the iPhone interrupts sound like on android. However, with do not disturb enabled or the ringer switch on silent, it will not as you have told the system to turn off notification sounds.

5. Yomama126 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the replies.
    Do not disturb is not enabled, nor is my silent switch on when I'm not getting notification sounds...
    Guess I'll visit an Apple Store and see what they say.

6. Altis macrumors 68000

Have you checked your audio level (the one in Control Center)?

What I find is if I'm in apps like Facebook, Youtube, Safari, etc... even though there's no sound playing, the phone switches from ringer volume to audio volume for alerts.

Typically this means texts come in dead silent, but sometimes they'll come in full blast because of where that volume is set.

Worth checking out and trying.

7. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

True. Head over to sounds and notifications also and make sure ringer volume is set to where you want it. iOS notification sound can be a bit buggy sometimes.