Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Ok, in chronological order:

I own iPhone 4; iPad 2; iMac and always run the latest software

- I activated iMessage as soon as iOS6 came out on both my iPhone and iPad

- I Realised I was losing messages with other iMessages users. For example, me and my (now) ex didn't speak for three days because we both thought the other person was ignoring each other; when actually her message never reached me!

- I turned iMessage off and *think* things were running ok

- I turned iMessage back on a month or so ago; and soon realised that - again - iMessages were not reaching me.

- I turned iMessage off on my iPhone, which meant all iMessages went to my iPad and NO messages sent from friends using iMessage would reach my iPhone; so had to finish each conversation on the iPad.

- I've now turned iMessage off on the iPad as well.. My friend who was only landing on the iPad as blue messages is now landing on the iPhone as green messages.

So at this moment in time I *think* I am getting all my messages as standard texts. I really hope I'm not losing any in the ether from friends who DO use iMessage.

I'd like to use iMessage, but the prospect of losing messages from people again and having NO idea this has happened sucks.

Anyone else have similar experiences? Any suggestions?

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
Am I missing something? I thought iMessage only worked via phone number to phone number for iPhone. Then emails were universal?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.