iMessage store-time?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Tanax, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Tanax macrumors 6502a

Heya!

I'm wondering if anyone knows how long iMessages are stored in iCloud or wherever Apple stores them? Or if there's a limit of how many iMessages are stored per conversation?

I did a search on it but couldn't find any relevant results nor answers.

2. aarmstrong27 macrumors regular

I just looked back through my iMessages on my phone to my wife (because I never delete anything) and it has saved all the way back to 10/13/11, which is when I updated to iOS 5 and iMessage became active. :)

So.....forever....for now.

3. Tanax thread starter macrumors 6502a

Took me a while to figure out what date that was, American system is all backwards.. lol. Cheers for the help!

What is the easiest way to extract and locally save my text-message conversations from the iTunes backup-thing? I've searched some on this too but I have yet to find a "perfect" program/solution for it!

4. Tanax thread starter macrumors 6502a

No one?

5. aarmstrong27 macrumors regular

I don't know of a way, but I would think someone smarter than me has figured it out and posted about it somewhere.

6. TranceNW macrumors regular

Surely iMessages are stored locally once delivered to the device aren't they?
    One would assume their store time is therefore not limited :S

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Yep there specific to your device/backup

8. Christoffee macrumors regular

Christoffee

Does iExplorer do this?

9. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I don't think there is any way to extract the iMessages directly from the backup.
    You CAN get them and save them to your computer using something like PhoneView (for the Mac) and other similar programs.
    And they can be stored on your iPhone indefinitely subject to the space available on your phone. I still have my messages from my old 3g.

10. macklos macrumors member

macklos

+1 for PhoneView

iMessages/SMS, Voicemail, App Data, Music, Video, Contacts, Bookmarks, Photos...
    Great Utility for iPhone/iPad!

11. Tanax thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, it's definitely possible to extract the text-messages from a local iTunes backup on your computer. They are stored in a (rather simple) table. However, I haven't found a program yet that can do this in an elegant fashion :/

But cheers for PhoneView and iExplorer, I will definitely check that out!! :D

----------

For the record, btw, PhoneView seems to support reading iTunes backup of messages. From their website: