iMessage switching between Phone Number & Apple ID

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by mconk, Aug 30, 2015.

1. mconk macrumors 6502

mconk

Ive only noticed this maybe two or three times, but lately especially - during a normal conversation with someone over iMessage, I'll be in mid-convo, and out of nowhere the next message from that person is deivered under their Apple ID instead of their phone number, which then creates a new thread under Messages.

The same has been happening to the person I've been talking to. They will randomly receive iMessages from both my phone number and Apple ID.

Both of us have eachothers phone numbers and Apple IDs saved under only one contact, so I'm not sure why iMessage isn't categorizing our messages under one thread like it does on the Mac.

We both also have the 'start new message' option set to our phone numbers. So I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why iMessage will totally out of the blue decide to use an Apple ID over the phone number to deliver my messages, as well as their messages...totally randomly.

Have tried to narrow this down to a specific set of parameters, but just checked all other devices (Mac, iPad which are also used for iMessage) and all three devices on both ends are set to start new messages from the phone number.

It's not the end of the world, I'm more so curious why iMessage decided to use the Apple ID sometimes, creating new threads on both iOS devices - rather than our phone numbers.

Any insight to this?

2. Quirinus macrumors member

Sounds familiar, no clue why this happens. Maybe related to bad reception or switching from wifi to 4G? I don't know. It's not really an issue but i agree it can be confusing.