Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
So I've been using ios 5 for about a week now and I can't figure out how to get my iPad to sync with the iMessages that I write with my phone to someone's phone number. Is there anyway to connect my iCloud or iPad with my phone so I can get all my imessages, and not just the ones I'm sending to appleIDs?

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice
So I've been using ios 5 for about a week now and I can't figure out how to get my iPad to sync with the iMessages that I write with my phone to someone's phone number. Is there anyway to connect my iCloud or iPad with my phone so I can get all my imessages, and not just the ones I'm sending to appleIDs?

I don't think messages are synced between devices. Each device only has the messages it has sent/received with its configured account.

nampramos

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2010
You need to had either phone numbers or e-mail addresses to both iMessage settings I think.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I think the way you do it is by using your itunes account for iMessage so that you can sync between your devices. Go to Settings> Messages> Receive at> Caller ID> your email

aajeev

macrumors regular
May 7, 2008
You need to had either phone numbers or e-mail addresses to both iMessage settings I think.

Yea, I thought about this a while back. I think, all iMessage is routed through an AppleID (and I assume that's how apple is by passing the text message system). So assuming all iPhone users has an AppleID, and all iMessages are routed via AppleID then I don't think you would have problem getting all the "iMessages" to sync on your iPhone, iPad etc... However, I don't think you are going to be able to get those text message (via phone number) sync to your advices other then (iPhone).

I guess I could see that been a potential problem, but then again it depends, my fiancé, most relative and friends has an iPhone so I guess it won't be much issue for me. But yes I can see your concern.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Yea, I thought about this a while back. I think, all iMessage is routed through an AppleID (and I assume that's how apple is by passing the text message system). So assuming all iPhone users has an AppleID, and all iMessages are routed via AppleID then I don't think you would have problem getting all the "iMessages" to sync on your iPhone, iPad etc... However, I don't think you are going to be able to get those text message (via phone number) sync to your advices other then (iPhone).

I guess I could see that been a potential problem, but then again it depends, my fiancé, most relative and friends has an iPhone so I guess it won't be much issue for me. But yes I can see your concern.

That's not exactly the whole picture though. You can iMessage a phone number, and that is what I want to sync. It is still an iMessage, but its not going (at least directly?) through an appleID. I guess I'll just have to full around with it and see what happens.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
That's not exactly the whole picture though. You can iMessage a phone number, and that is what I want to sync. It is still an iMessage, but its not going (at least directly?) through an appleID. I guess I'll just have to full around with it and see what happens.

Tell people do add your apple ID to your contact info on their idevices and receive messages on your apple ID rather than your number. That way it should sync but I havent tried it yet

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Mine syncs perfect. The contacts that I'm imessiging with only have my phone number.

Do you have all of your info in your contacts? What I mean is I have all my info under my name in contacts. Not sure but I've used it all last night and this morning and it has worked flawlessly. Now if it will sync with iChat would be the topper.

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
I had this problem. Here is what I did to fix it...

On both devices, under the Message/iMessage settings, first ensure the same Apple ID is being used on both devices.

On your iPhone it will say "You can be reached for messgaes at: <your number>", and on the iPad it will say "You can be reached for messgaes at: <your Apple ID>".

I found taht so long as both were set using the same Apple ID and both had a common email address where messages could be recieved, it worked fine.

One other thing to note is that I had to delete an existing SMS thread on my iphone before the iMessage thread to the same contact would sync properly.

I hope this helps! ;)

ddehr026

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
iMessage not syncing between iPad and iPhone

Has anyone else run into this issue? My iMessages are only showing up on my iPad. I have everything turned on in both and using the same email addresses to receive iMessages....

corrado7

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
Atlanta
I had this problem. Here is what I did to fix it...

On both devices, under the Message/iMessage settings, first ensure the same Apple ID is being used on both devices.

On your iPhone it will say "You can be reached for messgaes at: <your number>", and on the iPad it will say "You can be reached for messgaes at: <your Apple ID>".

I found taht so long as both were set using the same Apple ID and both had a common email address where messages could be recieved, it worked fine.

One other thing to note is that I had to delete an existing SMS thread on my iphone before the iMessage thread to the same contact would sync properly.

I hope this helps! ;)

Still not working for me :(

corrado7

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
Atlanta
This is not necessary.

I use my phone number as iMessage caller ID on my iPhone and my email address as caller ID on my iPad and imessages sync just fine.

Hmm i tried this but the messages will only come to my iphone not my ipad... any other suggestions?

Chrisbkreme

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
I've tried all of the above as well, none of it works for me. I get everything on my iPhone, but nothing on my iPad 2.

sooner518

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
Hmm i tried this but the messages will only come to my iphone not my ipad... any other suggestions?

i had to set my CallerID on my phone ("Settings>>Messages>>Receive At>>CallerID") to my email address. now they sync perfectly.

before, I had the callerID set to my phone number. If I sent a message to a friend from my phone, it would show up as one contact, and when I sent a message from my ipad, it would show up as coming from a completely different contact.

slapshot

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
Central Ohio
I am trying to send an iMessage from my iPad to my wife's iPad and I can't seem to get it work. Whenever I bring up her email address on my iPad, it says it is not a registered with iMessage. How do you do that?

Mobile923

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
i had to set my CallerID on my phone ("Settings>>Messages>>Receive At>>CallerID") to my email address. now they sync perfectly.

before, I had the callerID set to my phone number. If I sent a message to a friend from my phone, it would show up as one contact, and when I sent a message from my ipad, it would show up as coming from a completely different contact.

did the trick!

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002

I'm sure that this is a stupid question - but if you set your phone this way, can people without iPhones still text you at your number?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.