iMessage texts and attachments disappeared

Hugetrn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
When I started using my 2014 MBP this morning, it was in sleep mode. I noticed iMessages shows only a few of my recent texts and nothing else prior (including attachments). As every casual user would do, I gave my MBP a restart, hoping it would fix it.

To my surprise, all my texts and attachments were cleared from my iMessage window. I checked the Library/Messages directory and the file still has a hefty 5 GB.

Here's a few things I tried to solve this issue:

-I made a backup of my Messages directory.

-I double checked my iMessages settings that auto delete option wasn't turned on.

-I tried renaming the Messages folder to see if it would create a new one and it got stuck at the "Reconfiguring iMessages" pop up.

-I searched the forum and googled around to find if there's any related issues.

-I updated MacOS Mojave from 10.14.3 to 10.14.4.

All to no avail. So I thought I'd ask for advice here. :)

I never cared about losing my texts and attachments on my iPhone since it has 16 gb of storage but I liked keeping things on my MPB. And sadly, I do not have a Time Machine backup.

Any help is appreciated.

elnbrg

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2018
Try to log out and log back in to the iCloud and iMessage separately in the Messages app. I had a similar issue and was able to sort it out.

Hugetrn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Try to log out and log back in to the iCloud and iMessage separately in the Messages app. I had a similar issue and was able to sort it out.
I just tried but unfortunately it did not work.

Hugetrn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Do you have Attachments folder in ~/Library/Messages/? If yes, is this folder empty or not?
All the chats and attachments seem to be in place. For some reason iMessage does not recognize them.

mikzn

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2013
Vancouver
I would be very careful about logging in and out of icloud - it is possible to lose all your texts, contacts and pictures if you choose the wrong settings and options, when logging out of iCloud it is possible to reset your text's , pictures and contacts to zero if you are not careful

I have noticed on Mojave that some messages (sometimes) do not seem available for a while and then later reappear not sure why.

I would try simple things like restarting messages and rebooting your mac to see if you can re establish the messages and synchronization - also after an upgrade it may take a while to work and synchronize ?